Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
964 info need urgently!!!

sorry to posty such a demanding post but I have someone coming down to show me a bunch of 964 bits tomorrow and i need some advice and specs if anyone can help. the guy is offering me a 964 case and crank/rods/oil pump complete and bolted together, 964 pistons/cylinders/cam housings/cams/heads and distrubutor.

I wont be able to split the case and measure the crank etc but what else can i measure/check? what are the specs of the cylinders/pistons/heads/cams etc?

sorry to ask so much in such a short amount of time but i need help fast! the engine is from a 964 carrera2 91-92 i think

thanks

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Until the smart guys weigh in...

If you don't get to measure anything, this is what I'd look at (in no particular order):
- Look at the cylinders for scoring/scratches
- Pull on the rods and see if they "clunk, clunk" from too much clearance
- Look at the edge of the spigots for dents from the rods hanging out. This is a sealing surface on a 964 and the exposed rod ends should be restrained from making divots - a piece of hose over the end of the rod for example.
- Remove a valve spring, push the valve off it's seat a centimeter and try wiggling the valve from the combustion chamber end. You can take a micrometer to the valve stems, compare the worn to unworm part to determine wear. Do an intake and an exhaust valve. (Of course, the heads will need to be redone but if you show the seller the wiggle in his presence perhaps you can lower the price.)
gotta go...
-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 02-11-2005 at 09:20 PM..
Old 02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Chris ive always assumed that you were one of them smart guys! Thanks for the advice. Its really a panic purchase because the price is silly (hows $700 for everything!). I need a pair of 964 cams so im hoping that they are ok at least. If the crank is good then im laughing. can anyone else help with any other tips?

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would also look at how well the stuff is tagged, so you can put it back together the way it came apart, worn metal like to be back the way it was.

Rods do wiggle side to side, but not in the direction the travel so as Chris said check that.

Put a Cam Chain sproket on the chain and pull a link in the middle of the seated section away from the sprocket, this will give you an idea how worn they are, I can't give advice on how much is too much, but a lot is too much.

pull the drain plug and look at it closely, maybe it will show something

check for pitting on the cams, be sure it is a left and right

do an inventory on the parts, 6 of everything and 12 of others, you get the idea.

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by adomakin
hows $700 for everything
Ask the seller for the model year of the 964 that the engine came out of and then compare the engine serial number with engines series ID code from that model year. If they don't match...
Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Jim, good advice. how are you? Im still gutted that I didn't get to meet you and have that hot lap you offered me back in dec when I was on my honeymoon!

Jason, he is bringing details/ID etc, thanks

Andy

Old 02-11-2005, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well? Was the motor good?
-Chris
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
ba$tard let me down! I waited and waited and then got a call from him telling me his van packed up so its now next weekend. sorry guys, thanks for getting back so quickly, ill let you know if the bits are ok next weekend (if he don't let me down again!

Andy

Old 02-12-2005, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
So here is another idea, you say you can't split the case, but if you buy it will you? if so consider asking if you can pull a rod off the crank and look at the bearing surface, maybe hold this one out until you are sure it is a go in you mind, then ask, can't hurt

about the ride, next time

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
i will split the case if i buy so yes, great idea Jim. And you know Im going to hold you to that ride!

Andy

Old 02-13-2005, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: