Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
HELP! two potentially huge problems with my 930 case half

And I actually thought I was getting close to bolting up my case. I was in the middle of cleaning it for what i thought would be the last time. Cue my first potential biggy. two of the piston squirters on the right hand side case seem to have not been drilled.
They are the two in the pic below. I first tried to run some air in a can through them. the unblocked ones sounded nice and clear but these two just blew back. so i tried some trike-free. same again, straight back in my face. so i took it to a friends workshop to use his compressed air. still nothing. i tried heating it up to burn any old hard oil etc out but nothing.

Now for number two. looking down the case through bolt holes i spotted what looks like corrosion, or an air bubble in the casting. heres a pic. you can just see the hole inside the case through bolt hole.

can anyone shed some light on these problems?

Thanks,

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-21-2005, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Are you sure that you're getting enough pressure into them? I think they only open at like 30 psi... They CAN be removed and replaced...
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Are you blowing air from the back side of the squirter? Mine wouldn't spray with just carb cleaner, so I sprayed in cleaner and then hit it with compressed air and it blew out.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
try plugging the bolt hole, on one end, I used a Sharpie pen, worked like a charm

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
D Troop 3/5 Air cav,162

Like the man says it takes about 30 lbs to open them.As for the casting flaw can you plugone end and preasurize the other ..se if it holds air?? try a saffe nu 30 lbs??
Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I posted a pretty good "how to" on testing piston squirters in this thread: Piston Squirters!
-Chris
Old 02-22-2005, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
thanks guys. when you talk about 'opening them' what do you mean? is there a pressure valve/sprung bearing in them? as for cleaning, i have only tried to clean them from the squirter end as, even though waynes book give you a tip, I can't see where the oil would feed from in order to clean from behind. in one of the through bolt holes I can see what looks like two small holes. perhas one for the crank journal and one for the squirter below it but when i look in the other through bolt holes i can't see two holes. am i going mad? should ther be two hole in every through bolt hole that has a squirter ner it?

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-22-2005, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
cheers Chris, im taking a look now!

Andy

Old 02-22-2005, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Great thread Chris, I can see now that the squirter gets its feed from the main bearing line which is why I can't see a seperate hole for it in the through bolt hole. Im off to get a rubber tipped air nozzle and some plastic bar!

Thanks

Andy

While you are here Chris, whats your view on my other problem, the damage in the case through bolt hole?

Old 02-22-2005, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by adomakin
While you are here Chris, whats your view on my other problem, the damage in the case through bolt hole?
I'm not sure I'm seeing the problem. I clean those passages with a bottle brush or plastic gun cleaning brush (the metal ones break off bristles). If a scrubbing with the brush doesn't pull it off I don't think it's going to flake off later.
-Chris
Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like two of my squirters are stuck shut. Ive tried all the tricks listed here and on the 'squirters' thread but no luck. Its looking like Im going to have to replace them. Ive spoken to Fishcop and hes given me a guide on how to remove them. Has anyone else here replaced them themselves? Ive read that there are larger squirters that can be used for more volume/better cooling. Does anyone know what ones are the largest that I can use in my 930 case?

Chris, with regard to the damage inside the through bolt hole, ive highlighted the area thats the problem. its a physical hole in the wall of the through bolt hole, not a flake of dirt. i tried to pressurise the through bolt hole to see if it is holding ok but im not really geared up to do it properly. does this hole really matter?

Andy

Old 02-23-2005, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I hate to clutter up someone elses post, but I have asquirter question. Do all squirter have a pressure valve? My '93 3.6 has an open fitting - I'm able to run a plastic "wire" cleanly thru all 6 oil lines. Are all 6 damaged or do the newer oil squirters not have the reverse flow check valve?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: