Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
On the contrary, the rains are killing me and costing me a small fortune. Since my project is on a hillside, the vertical hillside cuts are colapsing faster than I can erect the retaining walls. It like building sandcastles in the middle of the surf. The last rain exposed the footings of the adjacent house next door. I fear one more rain, and sections of the homes next door will begin colapsing on my side.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I would get the 3.6 and do the work myself. The cup cams for sure. What else for more horsepower while I have it out and not spend silly money on it
bigger valves and clean up the ports w/ the cams and headers gives a lot of bang for the buck. Don't forget a custom chip to coordinate everything.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
While I agree that a 3.6 is probably the path of least resistance to a goal of 300hp, it still seems to me that adding $10k of mods to a nice 3.2 should able to get to 300hp also? Surely? Heads, cams, pistons, PMOs and a crank fire ignition wouldn't do it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all - just trying to understand why 300hp is so hard to achieve with a 3.2.

Mike
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to P-Dawger
Thanks guys - these are all great suggestions.

Steve - I need to get the latest chip you sent me in my car (snow over here on the right coast, rain where you are) Maybe I will not need to do anything to my 3.2 ;-)

I don't have anything against force fed 911's per say. I am not a fan of the on off nature of the power. Agreed there are ways to minimize boost but on the track it makes me feel a little sketch...

I have driven a load of turbo cars - all a blast and very addictive.

I must say I prefer the smooth N/A power larger engines, displacement offers over the huffers of in all forms. The M5 is the devil I tell ya...

And of course last but not least...

The good Dr. Timmins is just an hour's drive north for me also, which is the first place I would start my project and then customize myself from there.

-Jeff

Last edited by P-Dawger; 02-28-2005 at 10:20 AM..
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I built a "mild" 3.2. There is a 3.6 on my engine stand now that is going to be a 3.8 if that helps you at all. Mind you my 3.2 was fairly mild. I'll bet if you ask Ralph (carrera3.5l) his bill was more than 10k. Just a guess though. My bill for the 3.6/8 will be quite a bit more as well by the time it is in the car, but I will have a 3.2 to sell to get some cash back.

Jeff
Old 02-28-2005, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
My only concern is giving up a bullet proof 3.2 with low miles and lots of life and pick up a 3.6 with unknown history and many more miles... -Jeff
....that depends, there's lots of smokin' (and I mean literally !) std 3.2's running around who'd love to trade/p/ex for your good motor.

Then, seeing as you're ripping a motor apart, you won't mind that the one you're ripping up is a smoker.........you'd be doing the heads, P&C's anyway............
..no, add a '93 968 Tip to that. Hey, two cars are better than one, right ??
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: