Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Jamie,

In building your 3.2SS are you going to use MFI so that it is period correct with the ST

Michael
Old 03-09-2005, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Put a blower on it Jamie...a big honking chrome blower sticking out the deck lid (just poking fun at Jamie and the "period correctness" comment directed at a GruppeB'er, Michael..smile )
Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Souk,

Didn't know i belonged to GruppeB or any other gruppe.

I know from reading jamie's previous posts on his ST build up that he went to great lengths to mak ethe car look Period correct (ie flare shapes) whilst I dont have a problem with a 3.6 in the back I am a big fan of MFI in view of the fun factor.

I look forward to all the informative discussions we have

Michael
Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Micheal, I was refering to Jamie's GruppeB affiliation..but we'll take you as a member too
Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
What you mean to say I can join even though i am down under

I accept as long as i don't have top attend meetings on a regular basis the commute could be a bit long with the car.

Michael

Old 03-09-2005, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Porschekid962 Send a message via Yahoo to Porschekid962
I always thought Jp's car was b!tchin. I like the 3.2ss idea, thats what I am going to start building as soon as my car is painted and starting to go back together, oh and then I have to wait for dad to get his 3.6 so I can have his 3.0.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Kid,

I had a 3.2SS MFI and I wish I hadn't sold it. But hey I think the next motor will be bigger and better.

Looking forward to JPs build.

Michael
Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jpnovak
3.2SS is a short stroke 3.2. This is done by using 98mm pistons and a 70.4mm crank from an SC. A regualar SC piston is 95mm. Using the 98mm pistons on a 3.2 crank (74.4) will give you a 3.4.
Jamie, you may wish to mention to people that may not know and get a little confused that even though the stock and larger bore is identical for the 3.0L SC and 3.2L Carrera, the 98mm pistons for the 3.0L 70.4mm crank use a 22mm pin while the 98's for the longer stroke 3.2L 74.4mm crank use a 23mm pin. Obviously, the 3.2L rods would also be needed to make an SC based motor into a 3.4L.

If one really wanted to be different, you can even machine the 98mm pistons (w/ 23mm pin) for use with the 3.6L 76.4mm crank (and 3.2L/3.3L rods) and make a long stroke 3.5L if one desires. Andial did a few 930 motors in this configuration yesteryear, but I haven't heard or seen a normally aspirated version in this configuration.

Anyway, back to your discussions and build...

Looks like fun BTW.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 03-09-2005, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera3.5L
If one really wanted to be different, you can even machine the 98mm pistons (w/ 23mm pin) for use with the 3.6L 76.4mm crank (and 3.2L/3.3L rods) and make a long stroke 3.5L if one desires. Andial did a few 930 motors in this configuration yesteryear, but I haven't heard or seen a normally aspirated version in this configuration.

Ralph
The madness never ends does it Ralph Don't forget the 100 mm cylinders too with a bored out case....and if you get really crazy LN Engineering will make you 102 mm jugs for a 3.0/3.2 head stud pattern

BTW, your jugs are close to being hogged out! I'm using a hand drill and a 98mm hole saw on those puppies and them I'm baking the coating on to them in the kitchen... (no really...they will be handled by some of the best in the industry)

Back to the build....Jamie....

Last edited by MotoSook; 03-09-2005 at 11:19 PM..
Old 03-09-2005, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Good points to eliminate confusion Ralph. Its still amazing how many different engine combinations are possible with a 911 case. Those engineers really did their homework.

Michael, I would love to do MFI. The throttle response is unmatched. I won't even begin to describe the sound and look in the engine bay. That being said I do have a philosophy about this engine.

I am custom building my own ITB setup. It will have a high butterfly and injector placement. I am also planning to have a 12 plug distributor that will be electronically triggered and controlled. This will give the best of both worlds. Vintage look with modern state-of-the-art performance. I will post with all the mods as the project progresses.

Now, back to my build... Oh wait, I am at work. I did mix the trashcan of TSP last night to start degreasing some of these parts. My donor motor was the dirtiest, grimiest, nastiest 911 motor I have ever come across. I scraped crud for 2 hours before I found the through bolts on top of the case last night. EEEWWW!
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-10-2005, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
[B]The madness never ends does it Ralph Don't forget the 100 mm cylinders too with a bored out case

BTW, your jugs are close to being hogged out!
Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the 100's, I am reminded every day when I turn the key. I just figured let's just leave it at 98's because that was where the discussion was at the time.

Put the damn thing together will you? You got those from me what, 4-5 months ago? What did you end up doing with the pistons? Paperweights for your desk?

Sorry to temporarily hijack Jamie, need some filler material until you post with the latest update. Think of it as a free bump.

You guys and your MFI, EFI and turbocharging. I really need to move from California.

Ralph

Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Now, back to my build... Oh wait, I am at work. I did mix the trashcan of TSP last night to start degreasing some of these parts. My donor motor was the dirtiest, grimiest, nastiest 911 motor I have ever come across. I scraped crud for 2 hours before I found the through bolts on top of the case last night. EEEWWW!
Jamie, you should really try and find a local shop with a good parts dishwasher. I was fortunate (and grateful) to have free reign at Andial, and let me tell you packing the thing with dirty/greasy parts and coming back 20-30 minutes later and the case, cam towers, heads, transaxle, etc 95% clean was a godsend. All you need to do then is the final cleaning which will save you a TON of time.

Ralph

Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Ralph, I agree about hte parts washer. This motor had 1/4" of muck covering most of it. No wonder this thing overheated. The tops and sides of the cylinder fins were nearly plugged. I bet no air went through these at all. The heads were much cleaner. Just a reminder to check your thermostat and breather cover gaskets.

I am just precleaning to find the necessary fasteners and to make sure I don't strip them trying to wrench through the muck.

I took out the cylinders last night. The are nearly clean. The muck just dropped off with a nylon scrub brush.

I hope to split the case this weekend. Time to find out how much damage occured on the bottom end.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
3.2SS is a short stroke 3.2. This is done by using 98mm pistons and a 70.4mm crank from an SC. A regualar SC piston is 95mm. Using the 98mm pistons on a 3.2 crank (74.4) will give you a 3.4.
Any body ever build a 98mm unit w/ 66mm crank? Would the early crank even mate to the later case?

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Licensed User

Quote:
Originally posted by kenikh
Any body ever build a 98mm unit w/ 66mm crank? Would the early crank even mate to the later case?
It can be done. You could use an early 3.0 turbo case and a 66mm crank for a short stroke 2.8 (95mm pistons), 3.0 (98mm), or even a 3.1 (100mm).
Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

HMM 3.0SS. This would be very cool!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Ultra oversquare motors get my F1 jones on. How enticing is that!

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 03-11-2005, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I am building a SS3.2 on a 79 SC motor with Andial S cams, 46 pmos, crank fire ignition and full SSI exhuast. I have collected all the parts over the last year. The problem is I now know of a euro 3.0 ltr motor for sale quite cheap and the thoughts of that exact engine have entered my mind.

66 crank with 98mm = a very rev happy SS 3.0ltr

Alan.UK
Old 03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Licensed User

Alan, you would more than likely need custom pistons. Im almost positive there would be a compression drop if you used a 66mm crank & rods with those pistons. Check out Waynes original response in the engine config thread I linked earlier.

sorry for the hijack, Jamie
Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Hi Shuie,

I don't actually have the pistons for my motor yet so that would not be a problem. I am selling my 98mm MM set up due to having the S cams and buying custom J&E with new 98 cylinders direct from a company over here in the UK.

Thanks

Alan
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: