Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
checking the head nuts...

just a quick note to let everyone know that they really DO need to do this. I was replacing the rocker cover gaskets on my engine after one weekend of racing, and the intake side of my 1-2-3 bank had loose head nuts, so loose that one had come completely off and fell on the floor. So, take the time and check them. Bank 4-5-6 was all OK.

there were no symptoms.

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.

Last edited by addictionMS; 04-25-2005 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-25-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What kind of engine are you running?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
How many miles on the motor? Is this a newly rebuilt motor?

If newly rebuilt, I thought it was common knowledge that the head stud torque is checked at the same time the valve adjustement is checked/adjusted after the first 1K?

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If some were completely loose I would worry that the studs were pulling out of the case or that they were not correctly torqued the first time around.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
newly built 3.0 (original P/C and no value guides), checked the head studs before the build and they all looked ok,

Common knowledge yes, but easily missed or dismissed, so I thought I would post a good reason for anyone who might consider not checking them, well....like me.

I had my 3.2 top end done and never had them checked, so I guess now after a good 80K miles I should do that.

The motor is in my race car so it is a pretty harsh env. it had one weekend on it, a lot less than 1000 miles. but solid motor mounts and high revs out of the box.

Pretty sure I torqued everything correctly the first time. I was super careful, checking everything twice, atleast.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

By any chance did you locktite the studs in the case long before you torqued the heads on?

That can sometimes cause a bit of unintended stud movement after the engine is put together.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I never touched the head studs, the motor was apart once before I got there so it had all steel head studs on the top and the fully threaded 993 ones on the bottom.

I will keep an eye on them just incase you are right about pulling, man I would be bummed if that were the case.

jim

Old 04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If its an aluminum case its pretty unlikely that the studs have pulled out unless they were severely overtorqued at one point.

Were the head nuts lubricated when you put it together?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Al case, anti seize per Wayne's book

Jim

Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: