Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help Needed - Flywheel Seal Install

This morning I mated the case halves on my 3.0 Ltr for my RSR clone project. As this is my first 911 engine rebuild, I have been following the instructions in Wayne's book. After mating the case and making sure that the Loctite 574 had been squeezed out through all the seams, I noticed that the flywheel seal was cocked in the case bore.

The top lip of the seal extends about 4 mm past the lip of the case bore at the top and is recessed about the same amount into the case bore at the bottom. The seal has been installed with the Curil T sealant around the diameter.

My instincts tell me to take the case apart and to remate the halves with the flywheel seal installed flush. Is this necessary? If so will I be able to clean off the Curil T sealant from the seal? Also, will I be able to reuse the O-rings on the through bolts?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Tom, just try tapping the the seal square... to match the section that is recessed.

Otherwise it would be far easier to pull it and replace. You do NOT have to split the case to effect a seal change! It's actually one of the very few things I disagree with Wayne on... when I built my engine (and the counless VW's before this) I put the seal in after the case halves are mated. I know quite a lot of "real" mechanics do it this way also.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Slumlord

I agree with fishcop. You should also try to measure the gap between the crank and the case around the full diameter. That way you can be sure your case isn't twisted. Now how would I know about that?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guys

Thanks for responding so quickly. The fix worked just as you described and my seal is now recessed into the case bore all the way around.

It's guys like you who make this website such a valuable resource to the "newbie do-it-yourselfers" like myself.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: