Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Head Stud check during 84 Carrera PPI?

Does anyone have any recommendations on including a check for broken head studs in a PPI for an 84 Carrera with 80k miles on it?

As Peter Zimmermann recommends, I'll ask the mechanic to fill me in on all the inspection results prior to doing the stud check. Then Iíll make the decision about going with the stud check. But I'm wondering what people think about the necessity of a head stud check for a 1984 with only 80k miles.

Also, do RoW or US cars on average have more tendency to have head stud problems?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It takes about 10mins so I am not sure why you would get the rest of the car checked but not the head studs......... Never hurts to have this done. All the shop has to do is remove the lower valve covers on both sides and take a look. Motors with this mileage commonly have valve guide wear as well......

Head stud breakage is more an age issue than I mileage issue I think as well.

Cheers, and good luck with you purchase. If you get it, post some pics on the technical forum to introduce your car to us!

Jeff
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

catca,

Thanks for the post.

The PPI shop says that it would take an extra hour to do the head stud check. This was his overall quote (assuming that he would not stop early because he saw a major problem):
1.5 hour = $150 for basic stuff
1.0 hour = $100 for compression and leak down
1.0 hour = $100 for head stud check
total = 3.5 hours = $350

Does the time seem excessive for a 3.2 L engine? Maybe the difference between your estimate of 10 minutes and his estimate of 1.0 hr is the time to take off the upper valve covers too. Or can you see all the studs from the lower cover area?

Last edited by newt; 06-24-2005 at 02:26 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's a fair price, and cheap compared to what you would spend for a broken stud, which requires a tear down to repair.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, my 10 minute guess may have been a little optomoistic!! They do NOT need to look at the uppper row of studs, they are steel and will be fine. Even at 100 bucks it is money well spent, I just did a top end on a 3.2 and it was not cheap. I have a 3.0 on the stand right now for a customer who did not have the head studs checked prior to buying his car......... guess what I am doing to that motor?!?!?! It is good insurance to have them checked. My guess is they are fine but the pieve of mind is worth something too.... Also, 100 for a leakdown and compression test is a pretty good deal, so think of it as only maybe 65-75 to get the studs checked!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Alton; 06-24-2005 at 07:09 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes it is a must. The Dilivar studs must be replaced ASAP.

Regards,
Old 06-24-2005, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

JBO, catca, and BReyes,

Thanks for the posts!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

"Yes it is a must. The Dilivar studs must be replaced ASAP."

While some 911s have problems with broken head studs, this statement might be a little premature. The old saying, "if it ain't broke......" might be more appropriate. But keep an eye on it (same with the valve guides).

Sherwood
Old 06-25-2005, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: