Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Stipped transmission mount

Hi guys. One of the transmission mount's stripped out on my 911T. It never really went tight, so I think it was pretty bad off to begin with. Now what? re-tap the hole? Is there some sort of insert I can use? There's no way I can see to drill it out and put a nut on the back, except for maybe going right through to the interior.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

TimeSert it. The kit is expensive so unless you can borrow it, have a shop do it.
The way to avoid stripping them is to loosen the M8/13mm 4 nuts on the trans carrier before putting in the big mounting bolts. That way you can move the carrier around easily to line up the holes for the mounts.
(Remember to tighten the nuts afterwards.)
-Chris
Old 06-28-2005, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Chris. The bolt was worse off than the bore, so by putting a clean bolt we were able to get a pretty good bite. I don't want to torque it to much. How tight are those bolts supposed to be?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Use threadlock too. Just in case.
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

From memory - the torque spec was 65 fl-lb; same as engine mount bolts.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After looking into the hole with a flashlight, the thread is totally gone except for the deepest mm or so.

The other mount is fine, so I'll just snug the bad one so I can limp to the shop to get it TimeSerted.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: