Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ignition question

got a basic question/problem. Power 12 volt to 1 side of coil 12 volt coming out to condensor on other side. no spark when coil wire tested. I replaced the coil, still no spark at the breaker points or the coil wire? possible to be condensor?
help please.
Thanks
1989 Carrera Cabriolet
1969 912 Sun Roof

Last edited by upwardr; 07-12-2005 at 06:54 PM..
Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Verify this connection; from neg. () side of coil, circuit leads to moveable contact point as well as a grounded condenser.

To check primary circuit:
With point contacts closed, there should be NO source voltage at the coil. With points open, there should be source voltage. You can verify this by connecting a test light or multimeter at the neg. coil terminal and rotate the engine or distributor. If no change in voltage when points open/close, it could be a bad condenser.

If above is okay, check for spark:
With ignition ON and points closed, open the points manually (or rotate distributor or engine). This creates the spark at the coil. Test spark at secondary coil wire positioned ~ 1/2" from ground. No spark may indicate the coil is bad.

Hope this helps,
Sherwood
Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sherwood, thanks for the help. This has given me some problems trying to figure. I replaced the coil, did the test you suggested and on the - side of the coil no change in voltage (12 volts). I closed the points and manually opened them i got spark at the points and also at the coil wire, when I rotated the engine with the starter I got spark only once at the beginning of the cycle from the coil wire. then nothing. I ordered a new condenser today and will try that tomorrow. Does this sound like the condenser?

Thanks
1989 Carrera Cabriolet
1969 912 Sun Roof
Old 07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Did you set the point gap? Are the points actually opening and closing? Point contact surfaces clean? It could be the condenser. Fortunately, this is a low-buck replacement/diagnosis item. Let us know how it goes.

Sherwood
Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sherwood. I bought a new condensor but still no go. Seems stange so I thought about the points opening and closing. got spark when manually opened. upon close examination I found your question about are they opening. install eye glasses and check again, seems I tightened screw and closed points.Runs much better now.
Lesson for me, except the fact I need my eye glasses.

Thanks for your help, I wasted about 6 hrs on this one.
1989 Carrera Cabriolet
1969 912 Sun Roof
Old 07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Larry,
Glad it's running again. I'm also glad you stuck with it and diagnosed it rather than wholesale parts replacement. It's also a good thing you work cheap.

Have good rides,
Sherwood
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: