Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SC cylinder marking 5 vs. 6

Does anyone know the difference between a cylinder marking 5 in a triangle and a cylinder marking 6 in a triangle? All of my 78SC markings are 6. One of my cylinders needs to be replaced and I have a used cylinder with a 5 marking available. Can the cylinder with a 5 in the triangle be used with the other five cylinders with a 6 in the triangle? If so, how can it be done?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The 5 or 6 inside the triangle refers to the "height group".

I suppose you could cut all your 6's down (at the cylinder to case junction) to make them the same height as the 5's that you have.
OR
You could get anther cylinder that matches the diameter (there are 4 diameter groups ) of you piston.
OR
You could get another P&C with a piston that matches the weight of the others or at least close in weight to the piston that will be mounted opposite from it in the motor.

-Chris
Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My plan is to get another 6 marked cylinder, but I was just wondering the difference between the 5 and 6.

What is the approximate height difference between the 5 and 6?

If I cut down the 6's to match the 5, would the compression ratio of the engine go up?

Tell me more about the diameter groups. Are the 5 and 6 cylinder's a different diameter, too?

If there are four different diameter groups, are there four different cylinders markings 5, 6 and two others?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I posted some information on 3.2 pistons and cylinder height and tolerance groups in this thread: Carrera Specs
Off the top of my head I don't know if they use the same marking for the 3.2L as the 3.0L. 3.0 and 3.2's are both 95mm so maybe??

-Chris
Old 08-16-2005, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Chris that's some good information. Do you have the same for the 3.0 SC engine available?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: