Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replace just the voltage regulator? (1984)

My '84 has had a rebuilt valeo alternator that has the usual problems of suddenly supplying massive voltage increasese in spikes. We never had much luck with the rebuilt valeos, but I am a little squeamish about parting ways with $500.00 at this time since the car won't be driven much for a while after the engine goes back in. Has anyone ever tried replacing just the voltage regulator? Pelican lists it as such;

Voltage Regulator, internal type, 911/911 Turbo (1982-89)
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You could just replace the voltage regulator but I think that once you get the old one out you won't like the looks of the armiture. They usually are grooved pretty deep from the voltage regulator brushes. Your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a new Valeo unit. (not rebuilt)
1974 VW Thing (my back burner project)
Old 08-28-2005, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I know that there is a good shop in my area that only rebuilds alts and starters. YOu may want to see if such a shop is near you. I have found that small shops that do these rebuilds give you back a new quality part for alot less. just a thought
Old 08-30-2005, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: