Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cone behind alternator

1980 911SC
While my motor is being rebuilt I decided to have the fan assembly powder coated. I reinstalled the alternator with the regulator pointed down. The air flow, cone, diverter, can't seam to find its proper name, shroud has a cut out that appears to go over the regulator at the bottom of the alternator. Everything looks cool. Is this the right orientation of this cone? The red fiberglass shroud doesn't want to mate up with the outside of the fan housing. I know this cone has to be orientated correctly for proper air flow through the back of the engine shroud. Any help would be much appreciated.

herm
Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Position it with the fins on the cone at about 11 0'clock. It took me ages to get it all lined up an orientated first time I stripped it. Check inside the shroud, there should be witness marks made by the fins.

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 09-11-2005, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Seems to me that the alternator is installed so the internal regulator is up. And in that position the air guide stuff will then be pointing in the proper direction with the cutout making room for the regulator.

Walt Fricke
Old 09-12-2005, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

My alternator has an internal regulator and is positioned up too.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

UP
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks men,
Previous owner had the reg pointing down. Had me baffled.

Herm
Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: