Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jeff:

Obviously everyone has their preferences regarding ECU's. I have no affiliation with Electromotive, but I've had my unit for a year, and haven't had any issues related to my hardware. I've had issues related to the tuning that was programmed into the unit, but not the hardware itself.

But I have a friend who has had issues with his car (not a TEC3, another ECU) and he continues to say that the next engine he builds will be a carb based car. Until the day he bolts the carbs on the car I will fight tooth and nail to convince him to use EFI. The benefits I have had with it are simply incredible, and I haven't even tuned mine fully yet.

I have about 3000 track miles now on my engines using my TEC3, and haven't had an issue yet personally, while I know Don and others have. But for me, I went from CIS to EFI and I could never think of going back now. Just like I couldn't imagine going back to a carb based setup.
My EFI conversion is the most favorite improvement I've made to my car overall.

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 10-03-2005, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Brain, thanks. I just don't know if I am into a loooooong tuning process. The carbs are a "quick and dirty" solution coupled with a crankfire ignition (the one I am considering is an electromotive product)
I like what I have read about Autronic with its self learning autotune mode, and I have gotten great info from a fellow Pelican about Haltech...... But dyno time is expensive around here. Am I going to need dyno time or can it be done on the road?

Are you using ITB's or a 3.2 manifold?

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I took the EFI101 class and we tuned a car in about an hour. Much quicker than carbs. After that you might check it again in different weather to confirm all's well or after other mods that could change the AFR or timing requirements. Tuning was so simple you almost feel stupid for taking the class, but I would still recommend it. I wouldn't mess with autotune features and you must have a dyno that can hold load.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Hmmm cool, thanks. Apologies to DonE as my rambling does not really hekp him at all1

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

catca - no worries.

I spoke to two people at electromotive today and explaned the problem again. I also told them to expect the unit at their facility in the morning. They said they will unlock the unit and test it for a bad "crystal". If its bad, they will call me and discuss my options. In fairness to Electromotive, I will give them every opportunity to fix the unit. I also explained the bugs, and they said that the unit is most likely causing the problem.

Lets see...
Old 10-03-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Looking forward to the updates, good luck.

cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Electromotive called me yesterday and told me that they found a bad processor, crystal and a loose connection within the unit, that relates to the general purpose input, normally used for the O2 sensor. Hmmm... Sounds like a possible recipe for detonation and engine damage.

Anyway, when they told me they would fix it - I said no, please replace the unit. The tech said he has done this hundreds of times before and he can handle it. I then called R Clewett and asked him the intervene. A little later, the tech called me and said he would do me a favor and replace the unit.

So lets see if it can hold an idle, provide the proper AFR in all four gears, decel correctly, and on and on.....
Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

DonE - Did you press the Electromotive to do a complete diagnostic test on the replacement unit? Given the multiple component failures that your unit had, seems there is a question of whether they do sufficient, if any burn in and testing of the final unit. Of course, the same final test question would apply to 'fixing' the unit... I'm not seeing why a 'fixed' unit would be any less reliable than a 'new' replacement unit. The problem apparently is in their testing of components, assembly process and final unit burn-in and testing.

Considering I took delivery from Clewett a few weeks ago of the complete and very expensive Electromotive Tec3 package, and I won't be doing the installation for what now appears to be a long time, do to what has turned out to be a very slow chassie up rebuild process, is giving me a bad case of the queasies...

Please continue to update.

Jim
2000 BMW X5 - 1996 BMW 530i - Toy 4 Runner (x2 or 3) - 1987 Toy Supra - 1988 Honda Si - 1984 El Camino Super Sport - MGA - MGB - Fiat 124 Spyder - Fiat 128 Wagon - 1962 Karmann Ghia - 1951 VW - 1953 Willys Jeepster w/Chevy 286 - 1995 Volvo 960 - 2006 VW GTI
Old 10-06-2005, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Yes, I asked them to burn it in. Didn't think anyone else used that term anymore.

Of course, I also asked them to ship it to arrive today (Fri) so I could install and test this weekend - they said no problem to that as well. Well it's 8:22pm - what was I thinkin......
Old 10-07-2005, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

You can't do a 100 hour burn in in 24 hours. But multiple component failures isn't normal, no matter what burn in is done. Seems like a botched assembly job to me.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

What's the Latest

Don - Any recent developments?
2000 BMW X5 - 1996 BMW 530i - Toy 4 Runner (x2 or 3) - 1987 Toy Supra - 1988 Honda Si - 1984 El Camino Super Sport - MGA - MGB - Fiat 124 Spyder - Fiat 128 Wagon - 1962 Karmann Ghia - 1951 VW - 1953 Willys Jeepster w/Chevy 286 - 1995 Volvo 960 - 2006 VW GTI
Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Don:

Are you having the TEC3 control your fuel delivery based on O2 settings. I can't remember if thats closed loop or open loop.

If you're not setting up the TEC3 to deliver fuel and shoot for a certain Air Fuel Ratio based on the O2 readings, then why would the loose connection for the General Input for the O2 sensor have caused any issues with the engine running? just a question?

The way I read one of you previous posts in this thread it made it sound like the General Input #4 problem assisted in causing your engine troubles? But that could only happen if you had the TEC3 determining fuel delivery based on that input. Am I making sense? Or did I misunderstand your previous post????

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Brian

My TEC3 can run in either closed or open, as you know. I tune the VE table without the O2 connected to the system, however I use the O2 sensor (stand alone system) to tune the AFR. Make sense? Once the numbers are close, then I use the O2 in a closed loop to fine tune the numbers. It's quite possible that the O2 connection within the TEC3 was sending info to lean out the AFR under demand conditions.

I got the TEC3 back yesterday and put it in the car. There is a big difference right from the start. The idle is stable - almost rock solid. Cruise is very stable, but off accel is dicey - I think I can tune that better. Cold start worked good this morning. So, my update is, so far, so good.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Don, keep us posted on your progress & good luck.

My engine is coming apart (blew it on track chasing a GT3 ) and I'm going EFI as well so would love to hear all different experiences.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

update

I've had the ECU in the car for a little over a week now. Big difference using an ECU that really works... I've figured out how to set most of the parameters for idle, VE, O2, start, accel, decel and so on. So, it off to the dyno on Thur to see what kind of power I am laying down. Then we'll see what kind of designer, builder and tuner I am....
Old 10-17-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Banned

Good luck. My experience with the people at electromotive is good. They seem to know what they are doing. Hope they keep up with their rep and continue to do well into the future.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Update

The system has a problem with the IAC control and then started giving me a short-to-ground error. While diagnosing the problem, I messed around with a couple of the settings and uploaded the bin file. Thats when it froze up - this will be the 3rd time to send it back to electromotive.

So, everything electromotive is coming out of the car next weekend. Don't know what will be the replacement, but I will be happy to get rid of this junk.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

That is too bad, drop TimT a line. They sell Haltech and he has provided me tons of info to help with my descions. Real good guy.

Cheers
Old 10-22-2005, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear about this, what a pain in the a$$.

To change the subject: Don, I sent you a PM about your intercooler but haven't heard from you.

I'm about to build my full bay intercooler and I'm wondering if you would do anything different if you built another. I talked to Bell and they faxed me a drawing of an intercooler they could make for me. It looks suspiciously like yours. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with 3.5 or 4.5 inch thich core.

I'm also working on the EFI plumbing. Did you run the fuel rails in series or parallel? Did you use a fuel damper?

Thanks and good luck with the ECU. FWIW, I suggest Autronic.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Thanks

Sorry I missed your PM - I'll answer it.

I got a drawing from (I think) Brian Keith Smith and sent it to Bell. When talking to Bell, they said they didn't have the smaller core I originally wanted, so I went with the larger and am glad I did. Both pro tuners that worked my tuning really liked the design, fit and function. And couldn't beat the price. I can confidently say I wouldn't change this component of my build.

I am using the stock 3.2L fueling system - damper, regulator, filter and stock 930 pumps. The stock system is parallel. I used this system because it works and bolts right up. The feed lines however are steel braided lines I made up.

Most likely, it will be motec or autronic. All I need are firm quotes right now - I sent out email requests for quotes tonight.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: