Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cam, how bad is this?

This is in a motor that supposedly had a total rebuild less than 25k miles ago...#5 intake lobe. How long would it take for this to happen? Should I trust this rebuild? (1980 3.0CIS) Opinions?

#6 intake lobe
Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have an ex-Porsche factory tech freind who told me there was a bad batch of cams in some 3.0 engines. Apparently not heat treated correctly. It will run that way for awhile but eventually when you get to the unhardened surface the lobe will ware out in very short order. It needs to be replaced or reground by someone like Web Cam. Once the thing comes apart all that finely gound metal will get everywhere in your engine and you'll need to do a rebuild after that. Do it now before it gets real expensive.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a pair of 3.0 Cams in nice shape if you decide to replace.

Andrew M

Current used parts for sale
Old 09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That is typical wear for a 100k plus mileage 3.0 litre engine.
I too have seen these lousy 3.0 cams, however I do not believe it was a heat treat problem. The camshafts I have seen had some manufacturing issues. The face was not parallel to the rocker. This caused the wear on one side of the lobe you see there.
My guess is, the engine was rebuilt and the cams used as is. They were not repaired.
If your looking to buy this engine, the cams can be repaired, or you could grind them to a "DC13" or "964" specs for a little more power.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice John and all. I've already bought this motorand am just checking it out before I install it in my 914. Obviously the cam will have to be replaced. It's interesting that the other cam appears to be new....the black oxide finish is still on the heel of the cam. It appears the rebuilder replaced one cam and re-used the other.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: