Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo/carrera heads, different valves?

Are the intake/exhaust valves on the turbo heads dimensionally different length-wise (they have the same diameter 41.5/49mm)as opposed to the 3.2 heads or is there some other reason they are much more expensive?

The reason I ask is I'm rebuilding 3.2 heads for Turbo use.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by 89turbocabmike; 11-16-2005 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Different Alloys, you know 50 cents worth of material 50 dollars more in price.
When increased strength or temperature resistance is required, the higher nickel alloys are typically preferred. With more than 70% nickel content.

Best regards
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks racing97, as usual there is no free lunch. I was hoping that the price difference was due to the 3.2s being dimensionally different and high production volume, but I should have known better. Oh well, turbo valves it must be, I'm already a bit nervous about using the 3.2 heads with their different alloy, but I've got to take some risks
Old 11-17-2005, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
930 valves are Na cooled on the exhaust side and use different alloys on both sides.

if you think they are expensive , price a club sport valve
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i think many people use stainless steel in turbo applications.

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg

if you think they are expensive , price a club sport valve
Can the club sport valve be used on turbo engines? To be sure - you are talking about Intake?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
is it that important? i always thought that turbo and n/a cars had similar head temps unless you are running too much boost/comp etc.....or you are running a race car. but for a street car?

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )

Last edited by adomakin; 11-19-2005 at 08:23 AM..
Old 11-19-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by hobieboy
Can the club sport valve be used on turbo engines? To be sure - you are talking about Intake?
Sure, a better bet though would be Na filled 964 intakes, light and heat effective.

Most exhaust valves are 2 part anway, w/ a magnetic ss alloy for the stem and a non magnetic heat resistant ss alloy head welded on

Mahle won an award in 2004 for their hollow, nickle alloy valves. but they are just going into production now and Toyota has a trick Ti mmc alloy that they use.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: