Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy awhile after rebuild oil temp. not coming up

I'm back...been out for awhile because of no issues after 3.2 top end rebuild.

An issue showing up....recently seems like the oil doesn't want to come up to the 180F mark now on coolish days. My recall is that it did come up on cold days but it may have taken 6-10 miles but now doesn't seem to. Now sort of comes up to between the lower and 180F mark and just sort of hangs around in that area.

I will try again this morning...maybe turn the AC on and let it idle in the driveway or take it out and then let it idle and see if the temp. will come up to the 180F line.

I installed a F gage with numbers and the correct sender before rebuild and it seemed to all be working correctly until just recently.

I have about 3k miles now after rebuild. I just changed to 20-50 Amsoil last night and noticed white sludge in the bottom of the tank drain plug...otherwise the dinosaur oil that was in there seemed very clean. I've been changing frequently.

I'll be going to the track (Laguna Seca) on Dec. 15th. Maybe that will shake the thermostat loose...

Any ideas or how to test things?

Thanks very much,

-Henry
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

well I guess not a lot of ideas from people on this...update...I went out and did just about everything I could think of to get the temp. up to 180 and got about 2/3 of the way past the first mark..then let it idle in the garage and finally got it past the 180F level....I guess go talk to Don Wise tomorrow and see what he says...

I wonder if the thermostat can be changed without dropping the engine...might not be that bad...is this the normal failure mode?....stuck open?

Thanks for any info.

-Henry
Old 12-04-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
Henry....did you use teflon tape around the temp sender?
Sometimes the tape can insulate the ground from the sender giving you a false reading on the guage.
Make sure your ground system to the block or trans is good.
Bob
Old 12-04-2005, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This is normal for every 911 I've owned. (4 so far) Stop worrying and drive.

-Andy
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mine has run cooler since the rebuild also. Don't really know why but have not been to concerned with it, thermostat seems to be operating normally.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't worry, I always worry...we pointed one of those optical pyrometers around on the engine and oil lines and it looks like things are heating up...so I guess all is OK. Could be the engine is freeing up after the rebuild and now changing to pure syntheic oil has cooled things down a bit and the ambient temps. around here have recently dropped...good idea on teflon tape making for a bad connection...I think I'm ok on that. Going to work everyday with it...going to Laguna on Dec. 15th. I should be able to heat the engine up there for sure...
Thanks for the replies.
-Henry
Old 12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: