Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2SS from 3.0

Because it looks liek I need new pistons (Tight new rings) I have some questions about possibly converting to a 3.2 short stroke from a 3.0:

1) Can the cylinders from the 3.2 be used with JE 98mm pistons rather than stock to boost compression?

2) Do the heads need to be machined differently due to the different cylinders?

3) Is it okay / more cost efferctive to rebore the existing 3.0 cylinders? How much does this typically cost?

4) Can CIS be used with stock cams for a while (to be changed next year perhaps)?

5) Can the 3.2SS rev as high as the 3.0 all other things equal? How is the character of the engine different (torque curve, etc.)

If someone can find a good thread on this, please direct me to it as search really didn't answer thisese specific questions for me.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Brian
Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am doing the same thing and I am pretty sure that you can not use the 3.2 cylinders but with a little machining?? what type of injection were you thinking of?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I want to keep the CIS for this year. i can't affort to redo that too. I'm not sure I can even affort the 3.2 conv. since I still have to rebuild my 915 to get this thing onto the track.

Part of me wants to strap on a set of balls and see how the old pistons hold up. I have absolutely no problem with tearing the engine back down if it smokes or the rings break. What keeps me from doing this is the worry of broken ring crap getting into my rebuilt case that I spent a billion hours cleaning.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Re: 3.2SS from 3.0

Quote:
Originally posted by bbh03
Because it looks liek I need new pistons (Tight new rings) I have some questions about possibly converting to a 3.2 short stroke from a 3.0:

1) Can the cylinders from the 3.2 be used with JE 98mm pistons rather than stock to boost compression?

2) Do the heads need to be machined differently due to the different cylinders?

3) Is it okay / more cost efferctive to rebore the existing 3.0 cylinders? How much does this typically cost?

4) Can CIS be used with stock cams for a while (to be changed next year perhaps)?

5) Can the 3.2SS rev as high as the 3.0 all other things equal? How is the character of the engine different (torque curve, etc.)

If someone can find a good thread on this, please direct me to it as search really didn't answer thisese specific questions for me.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Brian
Until the west coast guys get up...
1) You'd have to have JE's made to fit your cylinders. There are 4 different diameter groups for the cylinders. Chances of having off the shelf JE's fit your cylinders is not great but I think people have done it. Maybe that's where the tales of "pistons slap" originated?
2) Heads are OK. Clean the sealing surfaces up of course.
3) You can't rebore the 3.0 cylinders because of the sealing groove in the top. One way to make a 3.2SS is to bore out some 3.2 cylinders and have them replatedand bored to fit the pistons. EBS offers this sort of setup. I think Henry has a better alternative these days.
4) Dunno
5) I think a 3.2SS can rev pretty much as high as you actually need it to.
-Chris
Old 02-02-2006, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Chris - it looks like I need to buy new cylinders then. I want the engine to remain high reving as it makes it's transition to a full track car over the next year or two.

I came across Henry's cylinders in a previous thread. Now that I think I must buy pistons, I am very interested in them. Henry, can you tell me for a 3.2SS conversion, will the spigots fit directly into a 1978 3.0 Euro case without modification (as well as the heads)? I can get ahold of the JE's pretty cheap through a friend - can you tell me the JE part number the cylinder's are designed to fit your cylinders and what part number of the Goetz rings I will need?

Last edited by bbh03; 02-02-2006 at 08:17 AM..
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: