Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 Cam Shaft Problem - How Bad?

While working on a valve adjustment, I found the following "ridge" on the # 5 exhaust cam at the top of the lobe.

The car is a 90 C2 with 112k miles. Synthetic oil, autoxed, and a couple DE's, but mostly daily driving.

Can you give me a glimpse of the future. Can it be reground? (I assume it's going to heck quick if I ignore it..... ) What can cause this? There isn't any scoring on the cam, but it's a heck of a ridge.

Thanks for any advice.

The car hasn't got any leaks by the heads, so i'm trying to keep from taking the engine apart too far........

-Eric
90 C2
NER/PCA
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Could it be that time for the top end ? How are the valve guides? Do you get smoke on decel.

In any case it's hard to see much and judge by your image but in general if there is a visible defect in the hardened surface of the lobe you need to get the cam shaft reground and the the rockers micropolished. Maybe a good time to upgrade to the Super C2 cam profile. That's what I am running in my 3.6 together with the NBD chip. It makes some nice improvements.

If you do not attend this it will get worse quickly to the point where the cam goes completely flat.

Cheers,
Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, it is feeling like a top end job.... but what causes this wear? Idiot doing the valve adjustments (me)? Flow problems?
Thanks,
-Eric

90 C2
NER/PCA
Old 02-05-2006, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
looks like some serious wear on that lobe. if this is an indication of the stae of the engine then i would say rebuild, at least the top end. but while you are there.......

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-05-2006, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That looks like more than the normal amount of wear. You probably have a plugged up oil squirter.
I would have to see it in person to tell if it can be reground.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The rest of the cam lobes look fine (#3 exhaust has a little pitting on the end of the lobe, but I can't feel it with my fingernail)

John, i'll get the cam out this week, and give you a call about sending it out.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 02-05-2006, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: