Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Please Help- strange behavior

I just finished rebuilding my 3.2 motronic engine and am attempting the start up procedure. Following Waynes book, I first pulled the ignition coil wire and cranked the engine for about 20 seconds. I then let the engine sit for a few minutes. I then attempted to crank the engine again and ...nothing... The fuel pump doesn't come on and the starter motor does not crank. I am going nuts trying to figure out what the issue could be. Everything was just working!!! One odd thing I have found is that when the fuse is removed from the fuel pump circuit, I get 14V. When it is added back, I get 2.5v at the powered terminal end of the fuse board. Is there something that links the starter motor and the fuel pump together that I am missing?
I am really anxious to get this motor started and now I am going crazy (if rebuilding the engine didn't make me crazy enough..).

Please help, thanks,
Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

is the trans to body ground strap connected, clean and tight? battery clamps and front ground strap, same deal.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes, everything is cleaned and attached properly. It was working just a few minutes before. That is the part that is exasperating.

thanks,
Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Has it got an immobiliser? Or could be ignition switch?

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ignition switch was just replaced a few months ago, so I doubt that is it. It has an immobilizer, but I have jumpered that to override it.

thanks,
Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Any clicking noises when you try to crank?
Double check both the starter solenoid connections, large and small. Bad connection on either could cause no crank. I don't think the pump not running is a problem just yet. Lets get it cranking first!
If the connections are good and tight you need to probe the smaller terminal with a test light and check for +12v with assistant holding key in crank position and go from there.

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Found the problem!! I pulled the ignition switch lead from the solenoid and found that the pump was able to run after that. Turns out my solenoid of 6 months is shorted.... go figure...

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: