Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deviant

3.2 SS Full Rebuilt But Won't Start... I Am At Wits End

Hi, I have been working on my fully rebuilt 3.2ss in my 82 SC for almost 3 years. I cannot get the thing to start. I crank and crank and crank and get nothing (following Wayne's guidlines).

- I have spark (new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc)
- Fuel pump runs (turn to "on" lift the CIS gizmo and it starts right up)
- New battery
- 1/4 tank of fresh gas
- I even tried a liberal amount of starter fluid

I have been troubleshooting this and trying to get it started for about 2 months now (one to two nights per week). I am at a loss here. Can anyone let me know something that they think that I forgot? If not does anyone want a 3.2 SS with no miles for parts?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you getting fuel? Pull one injector and reach under your airbox and push up on the plunger and see if any fuel comes out of the injector.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Deviant

Yup, got plenty of fuel. Pulled one injector and thar she blows.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

HMmmmmmmmmm, you have spark and fuel? And no start? Double check (witch you probably have done) spark plug wire routing (SC dizzy turns backwards) and plug gap. After that check the cam timming agian I guess. After that , I don't know.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tim,
Three years work huh. Don't let no stinking failure to start discourage you.
You've shown there is fuel. So what could be missing?
One of only two things, well maybe three.
1. Spark. Pull a plug, connect it up and check for spark while someone else cranks the motor.
2. Compression. Not likely with a fresh rebuild.
3. Timing of the spark. So you got spark, right. This is whats left. Real common to have the distributor off 180 degrees.
Check for the compression stroke at number one.
Just because it is at TDC on the crank, doesn't mean it is the compression stroke.
Once you are SURE number one is at compression TDC, check the rotor position. Should be pointing at about 1 o clock. There is a small notch in the edge of the distributor.
Now double check the cap. Sit the cap on the distributor. At 1 o'clock on the cap should be the wire going to number one.
One last check, not mentioned above. With the distibutor cap off, rotate the motor CLOCKWISE just a little, to verify the direction the rotor turns.
If the rotor turns clockwise, the next wire should be going to number 6.
If the rotor turns counterclockwise the next wire should be number 6.
I don't remember which direction your rotor turns, so find out and double check the wiring order. 1-6-2-4-3-5.
With a plug out get the feel how the connector clicks onto the plug. You may have to press them on harder.
It will go when you get the spark at compression with fuel.
Yeah I know sounds so simple.
Have fun.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Pull your top valve cover and follow the intake valve around to #1 and make sure your cams are not 180 off, it happened to me, a quick compression check will also tell you..
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Can't remember if it's a removable part on your model, but the large starter ring gear is installed on the flywheel...right? In other words the starter would spin and spin without actually turning the engine. I've heard of this being forgotten more than a few times. Especially hard to diagnose if you're working alone and not actually looking at the engine while it's trying to turn over.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Deviant

Ok, I ran a compression check at #3 (because it was the easiest to reach). It reads 130 psi. So that means the cams are right. I am going to double check the position of the dizzy now.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
What P&C's? 9.5 to 1 if so with the intake open you should be around 170/180?
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Deviant

They are 98mm J&Es that were measured around 9.5:1. I did not remove the other plugs, it was just a quick way of seeing if it had anything in there. I was going to check another cylinder but the adapter got stuck down the spark plug hole. I have not figured out how to get it out without pulling a valve cover.

Last edited by timlooney; 02-12-2006 at 11:28 AM..
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

130 on a brand new, never run motor is in the range, especially if he has a little more cam than the stock SC profile. Not sure if he opened the throttle either while doing it.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Deviant

Nope I didn't open the throttle. The cams are a 964 grind also new.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Deviant

Ok guys, I found it (thank you). The dizzy is off 180 degrees. Now when I line it up I cant seem to get the rotor to line up with the notch at the middle of the adjustment. Which side is it best to have the adjustment on?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

turning the distributor body will line up the notch to the rotor. it's just a starting point, by eyeball, then you run it and set the timing properly.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Deviant

Hi JW,

I can line it up in one of two ways:

1. with the adjustment almost all the way clockwise
2. with the adjustment almost all the way counter-clockwise.

Which way is best?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Are you sure you are on the right marks on the pulley. Snap us a photo and post so we can see excactly what you are facing!

Glad it is almost sorted!!

Cheers
Old 02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Deviant

Well I tried it and it didn't work. I guessed and either I was wrong or there is still something else (I am seeing a pattern here). I double checked the spark and you can clearly smell fuel. I am sure that I had the right marks on the pulley I saw them clearly with my light/mirror (it was marked with a paint pencil while it was apart). Putting the thing at TDC was a pain, it does not like to be moved with the fan belt (even with the plugs out). Maybe there is an underlying mechanical problem with the lower end? It turns over fine but who knows at this stage I am opened for any suggestions.

I am done for tonight I have to do that whole work thing tomorrow. I don't have a camera handy but maybe sometime this week. I don't even want to look at it anymore.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Tim,
Where North of Boston are you ? I live in Arlington and would be happy to put some fresh eyes on it,
Dave
Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Deviant

Hi Dave, I live in Tyngsboro which is about 30 miles from Arlington. I am going try the dizzy again sometime this week, I will let you know how it goes.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

it may be flooded by now, so check/dry the plugs.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: