Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuilding 3.2, What pistons should i use?

We are gutting my 3.2 this weekend. What Pistons size are suggested? I do not want to take out a second on the house for this job. Is there anything a bit better than stock?

Any other moderately priced tricks to do while it is at the machine shop?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: Rebuilding 3.2, What pistons should i use?

Quote:
Originally posted by rjb
We are gutting my 3.2 this weekend. What Pistons size are suggested? I do not want to take out a second on the house for this job. Is there anything a bit better than stock?

Any other moderately priced tricks to do while it is at the machine shop?
Your stock pistons are probably in spec if not damaged. You can go with higher compression ones (like the Euro cars had) but with the poor octance fuel we have available I wouldn't recommend it.
-Chris
Old 02-16-2006, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am going through the same thing right now with my Carrera. I chose the Mahle Sport 98mm barrels and pistons. I am going to be twin plugging the motor but not immediately. The heads are being done as we speak. I'll just put dummy plugs in the bottom holes for now. From all the reading up on this subject that I have done I'll need to run 94-95 octane fuel until I make the switch.
1974 VW Thing (my back burner project)
Old 02-16-2006, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

I just ordered the 98mm PC's from Henry at Supertec. Prices are considerably less than Mahle. Here's a thread showing them. 3.4 PC's Will be getting them in about three weeks. Will be used with the DC22 grind from John@Drcamshafts and a Steve W chip. 30 to 35 hp gain from stock is what we are hoping for.

04 996 40th Anniversary
88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
2016 Acura RDX
Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
What CR are you going to be running? Twin plug at this point is very easy, 964 dizzy and a splitter then you could bump up the CR and run some of Johns Super Cup profile cams..
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Craig,

Going to be running 9.5:1. I have thought long and hard about it but the budget just won't allow more than what I'm doing now. I figure to do the twin plug with everything would probably be $1200 give or take a few hundred, am I about on target with that? If only the clutch hadn't gone at the same time.

04 996 40th Anniversary
2016 Acura RDX
Old 02-16-2006, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Careful with the camshaft profile recommendations guys. RJB seems to be in California and may be subject to emissions testing. While all of us 76> 911 street guys in the Golden State would like to run nice cams to make more power, some of them are unfortunately too dirty to pass our ever stringent tests.

The only tried and true that I know of are the 964 and 20/21 grinds. I would consult with John first before making your cam selection as to which of his grinds he recommends that will both work in your application and pass emissions tests if this will be a reality.

I guess if you wanted to and felt it was worth the effort, you could always swap profiles every 2 years.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Ralph,

Wasn't necessarily recommending the cam that I am putting in. Don't need to worry since we have no testing here. The Dc22 is John's version of the 20/21. I have talked with him and Henry about using this grind. Both seem to feel it will be very good with what I am doing. Sent the cams and rockers off today for John to work his magic. Swapping every two years, scary, well something to do with the car during a brisk SD winter.

What was the cost of the twin plug hardware?

04 996 40th Anniversary
2016 Acura RDX
Old 02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Hi Michael,

Glad to hear things are progressing. Something to look forward to before the spring thaw, eh?

Scan Pelican, ebay and other sources for the 964/993 distributor, should be able to find a good used unit for $250-$400 and depending on what you find and what kind of deal you get you may or may not need to replace caps, rotors, belt & it may already have the inexpensive vent kit you will want.

Twin-plugging the heads and valve covers should set you back somewhere between $300-$400 and like Craig said and synchroid is doing you can simply machine the heads now and put a dummy plug in the holes and than add the additional components at a later date...

If you're retaining Motronic, the Andial splitter I think is around $600 retail (don't take that as gospel) and all you will need to do than is get another coil, make a bracket to hold both of them, and figure out what you want to do for the lower plug wires.

It all adds up quickly though, doesn't it?

Ralph

Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Ralph,

The average high temp in January was 38 degrees, tonight 0 degrees and 13 below tomorrow night, will be looking forward to the spring thaw. Plans are to have it fired up the very end of April or beginning of May. Starting engine assembly in mid March. Thats about what I thought for prices. Just can't get the numbers to work out. If this had been three years from now there would be no problem doing it. Starting powder coating on sheet metal and brackets this weekend.

04 996 40th Anniversary
2016 Acura RDX
Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 88-diamondblue
Ralph,

The average high temp in January was 38 degrees, tonight 0 degrees and 13 below tomorrow night, will be looking forward to the spring thaw. Plans are to have it fired up the very end of April or beginning of May. Starting engine assembly in mid March. Thats about what I thought for prices. Just can't get the numbers to work out. If this had been three years from now there would be no problem doing it. Starting powder coating on sheet metal and brackets this weekend.
Brrr, way too cold for me. Up until yesterday, it was in the '80's here! Snow is great to look at and to visit, shoveling it on a daily basis is better left to others...

Well, powdercoating the fan, housing & strap along with the engine sheet metal tin and cylinder deflectors will help make the motor look like a million bucks, whether it is twin-plugged or not.

Ralph

Old 02-16-2006, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Thanks Ralph,

Keep tellin everybody that if nothing else it will look good. Thanks for all the information and encouragement. Will keep you posted of the progress. Getting more exciting as the rebuild get closer.

04 996 40th Anniversary
2016 Acura RDX
Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: