Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Pistons are installed

Got the case togeather, Checked the CR, made a tool on the LATHE to install the circle clips, only took about 20 min to put all the pistons in there proper place, next is cylinders, and they are ready to go

Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice work! Want to make me up one of those tools for the JE clips. If you do, let me know what you think it is worth to you! I will be installing 98's in about 10 days or so!

Cheers
Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Craig,

Can you post pictures of the tool? I have a lathe and am thinking of making one up. I have a pretty good idea of that to make but I thought I would ask anyways?

Jeff, do you have a lathe? Maybe we can get together and make a few. I bought this lathe a while ago and am just getting it running so I am not sure if it will be ready in time (given all my other time comittments). I was thinking of turning it in aluminum just because I have some aluminum stock. I will be thinking about making up a tool once the case is sealed this weekend....

Chers,

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Its just some brass just larger than the piston pin with a bit of taper in it so you start the clip in it, push it most the way in with an old wrist pin then use a 16mm craftsman socket, which fits perfect to push it in the piston, a quick hit with the hand or tap with a hammer worked good, the flat spots are because it has to fit close to the piston.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mike, I don't have a lathe and haven't used one in about 10 years. However, I am gain for a little machining. That would be fun! I can bring the JE pistons and clips as well as a set of Mahle 3.2 stuff and you have the 993 stuff so I think we could make some good tools!

Then we can Bull$hit about case sealers and broken head studs!

Cheers
Old 02-18-2006, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
This is getting fun now

Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Looking good Craig!

Are you going to install the heads & cam towers as a unit or individually?

Your rapid progress will soon slow to a crawl with all of the "detail" work coming up.

Keep posting pics!

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Yes they will all be togeather then installed, I know this stuff goes fast and shows big, it will look like 90% of the work is done but I think there is 90 to go.. will post more pics tonight when the heads are on
Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
OK, got some more done today, just need to add the rockers and time the cams, then the bottom end is about done, time to carry it up from the basement

Old 02-19-2006, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nice looking work! I have always installed heads *then* installed the towers..... just curious as to why you are putting the heads and towers together first, then mounting them as a unit? Will you torque the towers to the heads fully before putting the assembly on the motor?

Also, where did you get your cylinders done?

Cheers
Old 02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Jeff, EBS did my cylinders, did a great job, I had them do my cylinders rather than swap them out, I guess because I know they have never been overheated, I dont know if that really matters but I was in no hurry anyhow.

I mounted the cam carrier to the heads, sealed and torqued them down, The heads and towers are aligned pinned, they have to line up and there will not be any movement, then the whole assembly is set on the cylinders and torqued to the head studs, and the cam turns freely,,besides when I was watchiing an old porsche factory movie the guys in the engine shop were doing it that way, it looked real easy, and it is
Old 02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I may try it that way this time. Not sure why I have always done it the other way, just never thought about it and never had any troubles... But then again I never broke a head stud removing them either till the other night!

What did you use for case sealant and cam tower sealant?

Cheers
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

abit off center

Garage
I went with the loctite for the case and threebond (just a bit on #8 The 1104 looked too thick (and skinned over to quick) for me to use on the case.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hey Craig, nice idea on the tool. What is the OD of the brass pipe you used?

Brian
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cgarr
I went with the loctite for the case and threebond (just a bit on #8 The 1104 looked too thick (and skinned over to quick) for me to use on the case.
I thought the idea of the threebond is is it skins over very quickly but actually bonds when under pressure. I think that is why the instructions say to "Wait one minute" after application. Check out my other thread on the Threebond for a picture when I tested it...I let it sit for a few minutes, the product was not tacky but dry and then squeezed it...it flowed and stuck under pressure fine.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
The stuff works great and I have some, I guess I am just not used to using it. Someday I will get with the program
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Well, only left now is to carry it up the stairs and down to the shop and start bolting on the stuff, cams timed up perfect, plugs in and this MF has some compression, hope the starter cranks it

Old 02-21-2006, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Looks great Craig, but don't forget the chain housing nuts.

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Looking really good, Craig. You must be getting pretty excited.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
The scary part is I have to leave the soul of this motor up to Steve Wong, I trust him completely, itís just that I donít understand anything about that end of it. Hopefully he can start me out conservatively..
Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: