Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil-fed chain tensioner question

Is there supposed to be a large gap between the chain tensioner and the spacer on the idler arm shaft? I have a gap of at least 2mm here on both sides. It doesn't look right. Any advice?

Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's what mine looked like, too.
mpp
Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Just did mine and found the same thing, they kind of float there
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The teeth on the gears look good too.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to air-cool-me
it floats...
Old 02-23-2006, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
What is the history/situation.

Is there a reason that led you to the tensioners?

Why is the chain cover removed in the first place? Since you can't replace the chains with one piece chains, there shouldn't be much necessarily wrong there.

But Mike Bruns at JB racing in Fla has some mean solid tensioners available.

Regards,
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BReyes
What is the history/situation.

Is there a reason that led you to the tensioners?

Why is the chain cover removed in the first place? Since you can't replace the chains with one piece chains, there shouldn't be much necessarily wrong there.

But Mike Bruns at JB racing in Fla has some mean solid tensioners available.

Regards,
I'm doing a top overhaul on the engine and am now to the point where I'm reinstalling the chain tensioners.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
When in the disassembly process how loose were the chains? How much wear do you notice on the parts in question? The chains are very strong and unless stretched should hold up until you need to get into the bottom end (for a complete rebuild). The tensioners should hold up very well, unless there has been an oil starvation incident/situation.

Has physical inspection revealed if there is any significant wear on the tensioners, any of the gears, or the stud.

Regards.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BReyes
When in the disassembly process how loose were the chains? How much wear do you notice on the parts in question? The chains are very strong and unless stretched should hold up until you need to get into the bottom end (for a complete rebuild). The tensioners should hold up very well, unless there has been an oil starvation incident/situation.

Has physical inspection revealed if there is any significant wear on the tensioners, any of the gears, or the stud.

Regards.
I bought the engine in pieces (P.O. did disassembly), so I didn't have the advantage of seeing what it looked like as it came apart.

There is very little wear on any of the timing chain components. I'm not planning to replace any of them.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: