Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Rebuild Smoking

I recently finnished the rebuild on my 3.2, I have done about 60 miles in it so far. The engine runs great with good throttle responce and power. However I am noticing quite abit of smoking on startup this lasts for about 5 minutes gradually declining untill the exhurst is completly clear after 5 minutes. The smoke has a blue tint so im presumng this is oil. When the engine is warm as I said before the exhust is completly clear both at idle and under load. Also the smoke seems to be worse the longer the engine is stood, therfore im presuming this is due to oil leaking into the cylinder or exhurst when the engine is standing. Whats the most likely cause? damaged valve stem seals or leaking past the piston rings? I did notice after I installed my stem seals someone posted that they should be protected from the groves on the end of the valve I didnt do this. Also the seals were installed then removed and re-installed.

Steve
Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Steve

Sounds pretty normal, As John W says "if it don't smoke its not a 911", Its just the oil draining from the tank back into the sump wetting the bottom of the cylinders, No rings can completely remove it, You should also find some times it does it and sometimes not, i think this is due to where the iol pump stops ie if it stops in a manner that stops the oil draining back it doesn'tr smoke, ps 914/6's are worse (oil tank is higher)

HTH
Neven
Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: