Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to GotaT Send a message via Yahoo to GotaT
Tourque Spec help...

I am putting together my 2.4L engine and needed to know 2 Tourque specifications

Head nuts to cam tower housing (6 nuts per head)
- holds the head to the cam tower

Head assembly to Long Head bolts (Allen barrel nuts)
- holds the cam towers/heads to the Piston sleeves

My manual only shows one specification being 21 ft/lbs

Thanks in Advance!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Steel headstuds 25 ft/lbs, Dilivar headstuds 29 ft/lbs. I haven't seen the cam tower nuts listed anywhere but I use about 18 ft/lbs since they are the same size as the case perimeter nuts.

-Andy
Old 04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Perfect.. I had already tourqued the tower nuts to the 18 ft/lbs...

Now, for the headstuds.. I am thinking mine are steel.. What is the easiest way to verify.. a magnet?

THANKS!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you have 2.2 engine they should be steel. There is no reason for Dilivar on your engine as they have steel sleeved cylinders. Yes the Dilivar are non magnetic.

-Andy
Old 04-14-2006, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Andy, You said if i have a 2.2 they should be steel.. I have a 2.4.. Same thing? Just curious. I know i can still check them by a magnet.

In reference to the "steel sleeved cylinders" Ive read about Porsche using 2 style cylender sleeves. Mahles and KS. The Mahles have alusil in them and KS use nikasil impregnation. Correct me if im wrong...

My question is are both the Mahles and KS steel sleeves?
If so, then is it "ok" to hone either of them out?
Mine have NO markings on them .. Ive read the Mahles will be stamped as such.. Are they All stamped?
Reason I ask is that I have planned to hone mine out w/ a dingleberry tool before I reinstall w/ my new rings to ensure a good seat.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Relax Mitch. What is a dinglebarry going to do to your cylinders if they are perfect? If you have Alusils, and once you open them just post a pic and in 5 minutes you will know if they, infact are Alusils, you dont hone them. If you have Nikasils, yes those you can put a proper finish on yhe cylinders, given that the need it. Either way you can reuse either type so long as they are perfect. What happened was it was just a matter of which type was pulled off the shelf at Zuffenhassan. How do you spell it?

Good luck.

Regards,
Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You shouldn't have Alusil or Nikasil. If you have the original or OEM replacements you'll have Biral cylinders. Or solid iron if you have a T. Biral cylinders have iron sleeves with an aluminum jacket. You should be able to tell by looking at them if the inside is steel and the outside is aluminum. The steel will be attracted by a magnet strongly. You can also see the seam on the tops where the steel stops and the aluminum begins.

There are some replacement cylinders that are Nikasil (maybe Alusil as well but I don't know). This is a rare occurence from what I can tell.

Honing steel cylinders is fine. You can even bore them oversize if you can find replacement pistons to fit.

-Andy
Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Adding for clarity. Steel sleeved cylinders don't have a coating on them. The Alusil or Nikasil is for aluminum cylinder walls.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ah HA!... Perfect .. We are all on the same page now. I completely understand.
Mine are in fact aluminum outside and steel inside. I am running a T engine. The reason for honing them is because I am putting new rings, now i know it is not "necessary to do so" but the engine did sit for a while i can tell because of small "rings/grooves" from where condensation built up on two of the walls. Now, I did check each one w/ a Micrometer and ALL were still Very much within spec. So, thats where im at with that.. My only hold up at this poing is waiting for the Dingleberry/hone to arrive.

Summary: There are actually 3 types of cylinders produced Mahles KS and the ones for a T model: ?

I think this Answers all of your posts/questions.

THANKS!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: