Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Weber 40IDA 3C rebuild gaskets

Has anyone found a source for an accurate, acceptable thickness, new Weber gasket #41710.001?
i have purchased a kit (from a well known supplier) and found that the main gasket is waaayyy off. As i look at 6 different suppliers kits that are pictured across the web, they all contain this same, miscut gasket. It is cut from an Italian marked gasket paper, which may mean it is cut in Italy. This gasket is used by all the Porsche guys running 40IDA 3C Webers. In my small scale photo here, you cant get the full inaccuracy of this gasket, but certainly a feel for it. There are 10 studs and 20+ holes that need reasonable alignment.
Helppppp
Craig

Last edited by p400; 09-30-2006 at 01:31 PM..
Old 09-30-2006, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am attaching a link to a Porsche Weber 40IDA 3C page that contains what i hope will be the pieces that a rebuilder would require for a rebuild of a Weber. Please review this and let me know if it is correct or incorrect and i will revise it as needed. The purpose is to understand exactly what we need for a Weber rebuild. Thank you for any help on this topic
Craig
Porsche 40IDA 3C rebuild parts

Last edited by p400; 09-30-2006 at 02:24 PM..
Old 09-30-2006, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello there.

It neds to be soaked in water for a bit before it fts..I then spray with wd40..

Kind regards
David
Old 09-30-2006, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks David, this water soak seems reasonable for an old Ford or even Ferrari, but not for thousands of pristine 911's. I am hoping there is a supplier somewhere in the world for fresh, correct gaskets for a 40 IDA 3C body gaskets.
Has anyone rebuilt a 40 IDA 3C lately?
thanks
Craig
Old 10-01-2006, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have rebuild kits from our Host. I can let you know next week if those are wavy. I would call Tom at Pelican in the morning and ask him to look at the kit he has.

Regards,
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi BReyes, The "new", dimensionally off gasket i have is perfectly flat.
If i were to wet it, it would have to selectively grow in some areas, selectively shrink in other areas and the holes would have to migrate to other locations. i am pretty sure that would not happen.
The kit I have recently purchased did not come from Pelican, but as i said, i can see this defective gasket pictured at multiple Weber kit supplier sites. In fact i would guess that any kit that had GUAMOtorV paper for this particular gasket (not other gaskets) is going to be unacceptable. It is not like this gasket is just a little off, needing a little tweaking.................. the throat bores, jet holes, bolt pattern, etc are all off.
If lined up one throat, the third is 1/8" off.
i would be great if you took a look at what you have and let me know. I also would like to know exactly what the new kit you have consists of........i realize it probably has orings, copper rings, and fiber rings of some count........... but if you have calipers and little time, can you inventory what you have exactly? is there a list included with the kit to assist you in determining where each goes? please check my referenced page for what i find for dimensions for an OEM Weber 40 IDA 3C.
Thanks for your time and comments on this.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I am traveling on business presently, and was planning a weekend for a get away, and will not be back to the garage. I will let you know what I have, and you can pm me with your telephone no.

Regards,
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sorry, been gone to Hershey. I picked up a Weber manual on 40 IDA 3C-40 IDS 3C-46 IDA 3C. i have not found a good copy posted on the web. i will try and pdf this to the Weber page i now have for this subject.
http://www.huskyclub.com/Porsche40IDA3CWeber.html
I hope you can get a measure on any gaskets you receive within a "kit".
thanks
Craig
Old 10-07-2006, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

is it possible that someone can supply full size copies of the Porsche Weber parts diagram for the period? I see a small 40 IDS 3C pictured in a previous post, too small to do a part number review. would there be a 40 IDT 3C ? There are plenty of 40 IDA 3C sheets available, but i am specific for the period sheets for 40 IDS 3C and 40 IDT 3C.
i would be glad to post, or open for suggestions...
thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I just rebuilt a pair of IDS 40's and had the gasket issue you have. My original gaskets were still ok so I was able to reuse them. (the carbs had been rebuilt 20 years ago with very little miles on them after) Unfortunately the previous owner parked the car in a barn and just left it there .... the Carbs were a mess, full of resin and the brass bits had become brittle .... anyway after some TLC and some chemical experiments they came out Ok. The only issue I have right now is the O ring # 43 on your diagram either distorts or get sucked into the brass washer # 37. I am running them without the O ring ... Probably not a good idea.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

67rebuild, i added some dimensions to my Weber page that i feel are correct. you might want to be sure all dimensions are fine. most likely you need some grease to lube the external spring, brass washer, oring.
But it could be incorrect size oring, or worn out brass washer. I understand there may be a "cup washer" to improve on the oem flat style.
Anyone aware of this?
make sure your spring is correct and not too long causing undo force on the oring.

back to the gasket and kit question - can you tell me where the kit came from so i can avoid purchasing it? were any of the other kit pieces understandable and correct? if float needle valves were supplied, were they marked as to size?

thanks for your help[IMG]Idle mix screw[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

p400,
Thanks for the info ...very helpfull ... it looked like the spring pressure was too great, I'll check it out the cup washer as well.
As far as the kit I used it seems to be a 'home made' bag of goodies.
the float valves were included ... 175 was the number on them ... not sure if that is the correct one for my application though.

Regards ...
Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I've used our rebuild kits on my own carbs with no problems. Nor have I heard of any of our kits coming back for return. Perhaps you just got a bad kit?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-13-2006, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wayne,
It wasn't one of your kits ... I got it from a local (Toronto Canada) guy. The kit it self actually was very complete, it just didn't have a label on it (that I noticed any way). My issue with it was the gasket (same one as P400) didn't fit well.
Regards ...
Old 10-13-2006, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Porsche Weber 1973 IPBs

Hi group, i have added the exploded views for Porsche Webers 40 IDA 3C and 40 IDT 3C from a 1973 BAP/GEON catalog i got off E-bay. It is at the bottom of my ongoing weber page at -
Porsche Webers
I hope this 1973 information will add to your data in maintaining these Weber carbs.
I am still looking for feedback on these main gaskets for Weber 3C. I cant believe i am the only one to experience the non-fitting gaskets.
Thanks for any help on this. i hope these pdfs will help too.
Craig
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Webers -lots of different types huh?

I just stopped by Nort Northam and had the opportunity to check out a little 308's Webers. It was four assemblies probably a couple floats each.

I also just spoke with Don at Zotz.

The bead blasting that they do is inside the carbs, so look inside yours and for example, any corrosion in the floats can be bead blasted.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Is the problemn that you are having: that the gasket does not drop right over the studs? Having just re-built a set, I noticed the gasket was difficult, until it passed-by the threads on the studs.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hi shbop, No its not a matter of forcing it over the studs, which can be done! Once you have done this, it actually appears that that the gasket might work, but what has really happened is the fit at each hole, throat, curve, whatever is compromised , not just slightly ... some holes are covered, ...actually too many fit problems to waste time with. Yes, i want a gasket that fits and I think everyone would.

My point is, i feel the Weber dealers are being supplied a kit, from Italy, i am sure in good faith, with a miscut gasket in this 3C application. I could be wrong.

i guess you were happy with the finished fit of your gasket? was it a Guamotor V gasket as i pictured? what about the other items supplied in the kit? were they good replacements for what you needed? same size? material? was everything you expected in the kit?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'm sorry I don't recall the brand of the kit. I was happy with the overall kit. I was a bit frustrated, at first, when I had so much difficulty with the gasket passing by the studs. Other than that, everything seemed fine. I'm about to re-build another set. When I receive those kits, I'll let you know the brand
Old 11-09-2006, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

David, the kits I've been using are by Rayze.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: