Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

would that be -
Royze
i see they have functional, crude website for parts. No prices. Did you order by phone, web or ? thru another source?
thank you
Old 11-20-2006, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I got my kits from a local supplier. I believe they order from SSF in Calif.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Constitutional Patriot

Richard at PMO Weber stuff you could possibly use.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pmocarb.com
Old 11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuilding a pair of Weber 40 IDA 3Cs with a Redline kit purchased from Pelican. The main gaskets do not fit. I tried coaxing, stretching a bit. The gasket tore around two of the eight bolts and two of holes were still not on the bolts. This was on the first kit. I took out the gasket from the second kit just to see if it was any better. Identical. Laid them over the one that I took off carb and it confirmed. The holes are off enough to confirm the poor fit. I don't like the idea of soaking them just to get them on. I'll call Pelican on Monday. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any more recent information on a good source for the right gasket? I could cut my own, but that sounds like more work that I want to do. And I'm not comfortable using the one I took off.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
PMO
PMO High Performance Porsche 911 Carburetors & EFI & MFI Fuel Injection Kits
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 08-28-2016, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the link Henry. I don't see any rebuild kits or gaskets on the website. Are those sold only through dealers?
Old 08-28-2016, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atnorman View Post
Thanks for the link Henry. I don't see any rebuild kits or gaskets on the website. Are those sold only through dealers?
911 Vintage Parts can probably source them through PMO for you if Richard is nor so inclined.
Ken 911vintage@earthlink.net
760-731-4911
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Puny Bird

PMO distributor with a shopping cart, fast shipping. I had no problems with their gasket set.
Weber Carb Parts
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Henry
Old 08-29-2016, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Gaskets

Rebuilt the 40IDF carbs on my VW motor with Redline gaskets. They fit well when installed, but after a year or two they had shrunk into the air horns.
Maybe soaking in WD40 would be a good idea to keep them from drying out.
Bob B
Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

We make Weber, Zenith and Solex gaskets from Klinger materials.

We use Klingersil C4400 for fuel resistant gaskets and Klingerstatite for all of the 'air' side gaskets.

We have diaphragms made from an Ethanol resistant Contiflex material and we are just completing the O rings and 'thin' copper sealing washers.

We have made thermal insulators that fit between carbs and manifolds with suitable studs.

We have the correct hardware in terms of the relevant reduced AF Nuts for all of the carbs and the correct studs for the carb bodies.

We also have the correct metric nylocs with a 'white' insert and Cheese head screws that watch the profile of those used on Solex and Zenith Carbs

Old 08-30-2016, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Redline gaskets

My local shop (which I like to support) likes the Redline kits because of the accelerator pump gaskets (which were a good fit). So I took their advice and had them order me two rebuild kits.

The paper carb top gaskets were terrible...just terrible. I called and spoke to some tech guy at Redline who claimed to have never heard of the problem. I asked about soaking the gasket and he suggested against it. Guy was pretty much an idiot. Told me to remove all the studs from the base and then use an awl to stretch the gasket while reinstalling the studs. Stretch a gasket while holding it down with two hands while I use my third hand with an awl to open the holes wider and then using my forth hand to reinstall the studs one at a time??? Sure...get right on it.

I am going to use a good old ring-binder paper hole punch to "oval the holes on both ends of the gasket. Holes in the center of the gasket look to be workable. Stretching the gasket will likely rip it...hole punch will put the holes where the studs want them...and most likely allow me to remove the gaskets without tearing them in the future.

In the meantime I am rubbing "rapid-grow" fertilizer daily on my shoulders to get those other two arms to grow...

Last edited by speedo; 09-30-2017 at 05:45 AM..
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I'd suggest spraying the PMO gaskets with a gasket sealant/dressing spray because i've seen a number of PMO carbs with unfortunate weeping leakage from the top covers. The fuel leakage runs down the carb body and stains it brown. Dressing the gasket is easy insurance to reduce the weeping thru the gaskets.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 10-02-2017, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Most of the 'fibre' gaskets still being used are made with an NBR Binder and these materials suffer as the quanity if Ethanol added to modern gas increases.

We have just started trials of top cover gaskets using a Klinger Top Chem 2000 materila which uses a PTFE binder that should be competely resistant Ehtanol which we belive is the cause of the 'brown' coloured leakage that seems increasingly common.

The worst example of this which we have seen is on a car the lives in France and used E85 fuel..

We believe that these gaskets may solve the problem and we fitted them to the 'French' car about 3 weeks ago and will monitor the results.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: