Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Paranoia leads to a complete teardown...

Lesson learned - really, totally, emphatically, robustly, clean those oil squirters!

Thanks again to so many people on this board for helping me through my first rebuild (read post here: First time rebuilder gaining momentum!). The stock '93 3.6 runs great, but something has always haunted me. My car was flood damaged and I spent hours cleaning every orifice of that block until it gleamed. But the more I read about cleaning the oil squirters (splash tubes), the more I realized I didn't do a sufficient job. So, after 4000 miles and much paranoia (imagine not being happy driving a Porsche), I tore my '93 3.6 apart and found we did a great job except for the oil squirters. All the nuts and bolts were tight - only a tiny leak off one of the oil lines and the front crank seal behind the pressure plate. However, some on the balls were blown out of their tubes and other squirters were downright clogged. I remember cleaning them, but without an air compressor, I thought some flow of cleaner was sufficient. The more I read all your posts, the more it haunted me. The more I asked questions on this board about the squirters, the more I realized I had to do the right thing...

She's all torn down now and the good news is that there is no noticeable wear inside the engine. All the parts are neatly labeled and bagged as before. The case is at the machine shop having the new squirters installed by Friday. The guys at Kelly Moss Performance (Madison, WI) - yep the guys some of you have raced against - had the squirters on the shelf and sent me to their machine shop, Performance Engines, down the street. The new seal kits and hardware from Pelican should be here on Friday. Hopefully, I can do some major assembly work this weekend.

The only problem I have is this lowly part I found on the floor as I was cleaning up. I had just finished removing the crank, oil pump and the oil pressure relief valves from the case. The part looks like a bushing with a 12.5mm (1/2") outside diameter, 8mm (5/16") inside diameter, and 4.5mm (3/8") height. Is this from the oil pressure relief valve (it fits in the piston)? Could it be from the oil pump (a spacer of some sort)? Because the dimensions are so non-metric, I'm guessing it's not Porsche related, but from the tub of spare parts I cleaned out because I needed one more bin to separate the case bolts into. YIKES, more paranoia!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It looks like a spacer for the Carrera chain tensioner conversion kit, from what I can see in the picture, but you have a 3.6, it doesn't need those.
I found a weird part on the floor recently, it turned out it was a piece of my kid's Kart. Scary.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: