Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best parts washer solution?

Just bought a 20 gal parts washer like this one:

What is the best solution, or 'recipe' to use in it to wash parts? Did a search, but couldnt find anything specific.
thanks
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I tried water based degreaser - didn't cut the gunk and other posts have discussed the problem that the degreaser pulls out the grease and leaves concreted solids.

I moved mine outside and used Kerosene, others have used part "odorless" mineral spirits with kerosene. Smelly but works really well. Get thick chemicals gloves and clothes and shoes that you can leave outside.

Others have suggested commercial products that run $80/ 5 gallon that are friendlier and are described as working well.

There are threads on this subject.
2007 Toyota Sienna -my bike hauler, 2006 Sonata, 2013 Corolla S, 2012 Outback-kid hauler
Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

graymills has the best cleaning chem called "super agatine" . I buy it at msc or grainger.

This is the best solvent to use... $80/5 gal. leaves a very light lanolin finish on hands is come in contact with. Also parts will not rust when they come out of tank & dry from your wipe down or left to dry by themselves. **This is a key element in my mind as I don't have to wipe parts when part comes out of tank AND I don't have to spray the parts w/ a wd-40 or gibbs oil or crc to prevent rust. (however, if part going into storage for unknown amt of time, I spray with crc or gibbs or the like... for crankshafts and the like with surfaces that are in constant contact with other surfaces when in use, I coat with a grease to protect)
There you go !
Bob
Old 11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
great. Super agatine it is. Thanks guys
Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

there is a typical order to the solvent/cleaner. Kind of like what ever they use in the safety kleen units that auto repair shops typically use, but, the super agatine is a lot less fumey i.e. it take a while ~ 1 hr @ tank before I take a break from the cleaning... this may be more from standing at the tank and scrubbing than the odor, but I just wanted to tell you that the stuff is not roses but in my opinion it is way better(less odor/fumes) vs the safety kleen or other things like diesel fuel, gasoline, safety kleen stuff.
I may suggest to buy 1, 5 gal pale and try it cleaning/soaking what ever needs cleaning and see how the odor & cleaning performance is.
Post back as I am curious if others like this product, which was recommended to me from chris bennet from NH for the very reasons I cited above. Also curious if my brain is numb to the stuff now or maybe it is numb from other environmental exposures. ;-)
Please post back your experience for others here and my hoping this works out well for you too.
Good luck!
Bob
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've had good luck with the cleaner that Tractor Supply sells... About $35 for a 5 Gal pail. Lou
'03 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE, 30ft, 8.1l, 340HP, 455Ft#
http://www.nicotra4.hpshare.net/BasketCaseMotorsports/
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Line the drum with a heavy plastic bag and use water in the bottom and then a solvent like mineral spirits or safety clean on top.

The reason to use water is because it is heavier than any solvent, won't ever mix with the solvent, and will stay in it's own layer on the bottom of the drum below the pickup for the solvent pump.

This way most of the debris and dirt will sink to the bottom of the solvent layer and then sink to the bottom of the water layer and never remix with the solvent keeping it cleaner longer.
The heavy plastic bag is to keep the water from rusting the drum after a long time.

A very good way to demonstrate this is to take a glass jar and fill it half with water and half with mineral spirits. Put food coloring in the water and shake the jar.
You will be able to see the seperation between the solvent and water clearly because the food coloring won't mix with the solvent but mixes completely with all the water. It looks like a slow motion wave as the colored water settles out in it's own layer in the bottom half of the jar.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I've just started my disassembly using kerosine and carb cleaner. This works on some parts but not on the external parts with burnt on oil residue.
McMinnville, Ore
RGRUPPE #104
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
J, great idea. Will do. Glad someone stayed awake in organic chemistry

911 - Got my 5 gal drum of SA from Grainger today, will start cleaning tomorrow. will let you know how this lab rat does.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-12-2008, 05:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

juicer let us know if you do the water in the bottom, bag the parts washer tub & what you think of the super agatine.
Thanks & good luck !!
Bob
Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

"buy" (ha ha) the way Juicer I have the same tank and it works great.
Let us know how you like the SA and how you set it all up.
Bob
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Some observations after using Super Agatine for a week. The stuff smells (at least to me) faintly like kerosene when first using, then more so when you start splashing it around washing parts. Does a pretty good job of softening up caked on grime/ oil/ grease (my parts had almost 300,000 miles worth) and obviously does a better job if you let it soak overnight. However, i still had to use more elbow grease than i thought i would, but i guess all cleaning solutions only do so much, or they would be taking off your skin too. As for the effects of the solution, after reading the MSD sheet and labeling on the drum, wasnt too keen on sniffing the stuff for a prolonged period, but for the sake of the Pelican Board and science (i'm a physician) , did so. Definately started feeling some effects after about half hour.. mild headache, queasy but not nausea. Quit for a break after 45 mintues. Was more irritating than anything. The next day (day two of the study) used my charcoal respirator and was able busily clean parts for about 2 hours without problem. The parts came clean, and used an air hose to remove excess and residual grit. Overall, was happy with Super Ag. BTW, i found it at my local Grainger store for only $50/ 5 gal.
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

thanks for the experiences juicer... you are correct in that it is a cleaner... I guess that is why the commercial shops use and have the commercial washing machines to avoid all of this... I do have a friend who has a trans shop and he claims that after 8 yrs of using the parts washing machine 1-3x/day... 5 days a week... 8 yrs later he croaked his leaching field which is mostly sand... so in the end theor are "+'" and "-" to everything.
I agree that Super Agitine does the trick... one needs to limit breathing per exposure and or use the respirator as you did.
Thanks again for sharing... :-)
Bob
Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: