Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rick

Garage
Question Case Cleaning

Hi guys,
I haven't posted in a while as I was accumulating parts and pieces for Phase 2 of the rebuild. The machine shop work is now finished, and I have the MFI pump and injectors back. The new cylinders and pistons are here (87.5mm / 9.5 CR). The cam is the DC-30 grind. Lightened flywheel. Target config: 2.380 L, 66 mm crank, built on 1970 911 E case.

So, it is time to start the real work of putting it all back together. As it has taken 30 years to get to this point, I do not expect a fast build.

Here is the current question: how clean is clean? The case has been bore-aligned, dipped, mating surfaces cleaned, oil-mods done, squiters installed. No oil or grease left. shiny surfaces as appropriate. But, I see small (1/4 inch long) strips of sealant in various places, and a little sealant in the through case oil / bolt holes. I have used a bamboo skewer (from the kitchen stock) and brake cleaner to try to get this stuff off. The brake cleaner doesn't touch it. The bamboo skewer will lift parts with a lot of rubbing and scraping. I am afraid to use a metal device as I do not want to scratch the metal. I also tried soaking the case in my parts washer filled with brand new simple green cleaner (the one that is certified on aluminum for airplanes). Wayne's book says CLEAN. How do I get this stuff off?

Also, the case has a rash in places (1970 911E). Is this normal for a magnesium case? How do I get rid of this? Is the bloom normal?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rick,

Were all the oil galley plugs removed and the galleys scrubbed out?

You need to get all that sealant out of the case through-bolt holes.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rick

Garage
Steve, thanks.

The plugs were removed and the galleries cleaned. however, i am concerned that some of the sealant may have dropped into the squiter oiler tubes as I have tried to get it out of the o-ring area at the top of the through case holes.

should i remove the new plugs and clean there again?

Rick
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Steve, thanks.

The plugs were removed and the galleries cleaned. however, i am concerned that some of the sealant may have dropped into the squiter oiler tubes as I have tried to get it out of the o-ring area at the top of the through case holes.

should i remove the new plugs and clean there again?

Rick
You are quite welcome.

If you found loose sealant, I would strongly suggest investing whatever time it takes to thoroughly remove it.

The oil squirters get fed from the main oil galleys so if there is an off-chance that any material has fallen in, I would pull the galley plugs and clean everything out as I suggested over the phone.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: