Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Engine needs to go - but what is it worth?

Last fall I was blessed with permission to get a project car for me and my son to work on - got a 78 911 SC, Euro. Engine was tired, blew a little smoke - so we knew it needed engine work which was the intent. I figured top end job. Drove it for a month before we made time to get the boy under the engine and start playing around. Compressions tests were not good - had two at 165, one at 160, one at 145, one at 95 (#4), and one at 65 (#1). So we went to check valve clearances and found #1 gap was huge - made the adjustment, check the remainders and they seemed good, and then checked #1 and it was good. Started engine and heard loud noise on #1. Went back in and checked clearances, still good, but found that I could actually push on the rocker and cause the valve to open - couldn't see, but I am assuming broken spring.

So, now that i knew the valve and piston had met, I started weighing the pros and cons of rebuilding verses replacing. Folded under the pressure of self doubt and ended up getting an 82SC engine off a fellow Pelican and put it in - no regrets - running very well. I also ended up with a spare 915 and put that one in (still toying with thought of rebuilding the 78 915). Now I am left with the challange of what to do with the original engine - guess I don't need a spare, so its time to find it a home. The big question, knowing it needs a top end, and likely a P&C change out, what is a "fair" price to expect for it?

Engine # is 6383812. It does have the large port heads, CIS installed, and upgraded hydraulic tensioners.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check a few things. If it has Mahle cylinders they can most likely be re-used. Also, what are you including with it? CIS, exhaust, etc. You might also post a few pictures as you know what they're worth.

Lindy
Old 09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sometimes a core is not worth so much as a person has to put a lot into it....

For value: How many miles? Post oil pressure and it tell the story of the bottom end. Will the sale include things like exhaust, CIS, flywheel, clutch? etc.....

Best of luck.......Keep us posted I know someone that could be interested that is close to you........
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm here to cause trouble

You might consider rebuilding it as a great learning experience (if you've never done it before). As you disassemble the engine, you'll have a better idea of what you're dealing with. If it's not rebuildable for a reasonable price, you can always sell it disassembled, or part it.

JB
'62 Plymouth Valiant '60 Ford Galaxy 500 (RIP)
Old 09-05-2010, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would be interested in purchasing the motor.

You have a PM
Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Pics and more info

Thanks for the feedback - I should know by now that pictures are expected - pulled the engine out and took a few. I have no idea what type of cylinders are on it - or even how I could tell without getting to them. Here are a few shots that should be helpful.

General shot from the back? of the engine - i call the front the part you can get to.

Here is a shot showing the hydraulic tensioners.

Shot showing the engine number

Flywheel was resurfaced by PO - with new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

Previous oil pressure was running around 2-2.5 at 3500-4000 RPM. Would drop to near zero when hot at idle - bounced a lot at that point, but came right up with rpm increase. It was also run at the low end of the level gage - I was hoping to do some testing on that after the first tuneup and oil change (with some known good oil in it and at the mid point for level - but that is when I found out about #1 and we went a different path.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
More info

More info on engine:

I am at least the forth owner - previous owner believes miles on car to be actual - I have no way to prove, but the odometer reads 66,700 now. If I was a betting man (which I guess I am) I would say the odometer was replaced - but I must admit the body was in great shape. So, bottom line, no clue on mileage.

I did consider rebuild for the experience, but then I had to figure out what to do with the engine - as I don't intend on tracking, racing, or other activities where a spare would be beneficial, and the engine I just put in was a complete rebuild with 2000 on it, can't see rebuilding and having the spare lay around for ten years until I need it.

The engine is complete - with CIS, Exhaust, clutch, pressure plate. It is a 78 CIS so it does not have the O2 sensor system.

Bob S. - It would be nice to find a local interest - a day trip is far superior to shipping!

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
If it has needed the clutch replaced, and the compression numbers being what they are, I would think the actual mileage would be a bit higher than the odometer states. The important thing is you are being honest with the mechanical shape it is in.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback from you all providing valuable input and pricing considerations. Received many PMs that ranged from outright offers to pure advise - appreciated it all. It went a lot quicker than I was anticipating and I ended up selling the engine for a price that I and the buyer were both happy with. And in the end, that is what this site is full of, people not looking to get the best deal they can get out of each other, but one that is reasonable and that both parties are satisfied with.

Which brings up the main point - and I know you have heard this before, but it is true and just needs to be said every once in a while - this forum is home to a really great group of folks. The passion you show for these vehicles and their owners is remarkable - it is really a great community to be a part of.

Thanks to all

Mike

Last edited by mycastle; 09-10-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
If it were my car I would keep the original engine and tranny with the car. Will be worth a lot more if you ever decide to sell.

Rebuild the original engine and tranny if needed. Put back into car. Sell what is in there now.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: