Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Kugelfischer MFI pump

Have just found and bought a Kugelfisher 6 cylinder MFI pump of a similar type to that fitted to the SC/RS.

It seems in basically good order and rotates freely although I am sure it will benefit from an overhaul.

There are two more available and if anyone is interested please send me a PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I always wondered if these were better than the Bosch? Were they lighter? Or just more available at the time?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think by the time the SCRS was produced the Bosch pump was out of production.

The SC RS used a High Butterfly with a KF pump.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Would you please measure the weights of the pump, and a Bosch if you have one handy? I am just curious.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
I always wondered if these were better than the Bosch? Were they lighter? Or just more available at the time?
OMG, no. The Bosch ones were FAR better, however NLA at that time.

Many 935's had them as well.

KF pumps had no space cams and simply metered fuel by throttle opening and RPM. Fine for WOT, but terrible for anything less.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com

Last edited by Steve@Rennsport; 09-07-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
OMG, no. The Bosch ones were FAR better, however NLA at that time.

Many 935's had them as well.

KF pumps had no space cams and simply meetered fuel by throttle opening and RPM. Fine for WOT, but terrible for anything less.
Wow, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Fuel metering - Kugelfischer style

In the Bosch EP/RLA - throttle position rotates the "space cam" and engine speed moves the "space cam" fore/aft.

In the Kugelfischer PL O - throttle position moves the "irregular cone" fore/aft, and engine speed rotates the irregular cone.

Seems to me that the "irregular cone" of the Kugelfischer PL O is analogous to a "space cam" of the Bosch EP/RLA, with the ordinates (engine speed and throttle position) simply reversed. (But I'm happy to stand corrected !!! The above detail is from the BMW 2002 Tii factory manual)

(Pump specs previously posted by VZ935)

Gus Pfister at Pacific Fuel Injection should be able to get you up an running...

Regards
John
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Steve said it was only throttle position and rpm and your diagrams support this.

Bosch pumps also had barometric compensating cells that would change the position of the stylus on the space cam, as well as a shut-off solenoid for overrun fuel saving, and a thermostatic compensator to change the amount of fuel delivered to a cold engine. Not to mention the '69 cold start solenoid.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Interview with Gus Pfister regarding the Kugelfischer pumps

PDF product manuals here

Kugelfischer "irregular cone" - it contains the fuel "map" (analogous to the Bosch EP/RLA "space cam")

Last edited by jcge; 09-12-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Yes, it has a space cam but only two inputs. The Bosch has throttle and speed plus pressure and temperature.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Max - the Kugelfischer also has thermo compensation and an LDA for turbo applications. I haven't included all sections of the manual in the images above - you can access it here

I do not have Steve's experience with these pumps so cannot directly compare the Bosch/Kugelfischer in terms of which is "better".

I would note that the Kugelfischer's irregular cone appears to have a greater surface area than the Bosch, so potentially greater "resolution" (if you recall the increase in thickness of the space cams between early and later Bosch pumps to achieve this end) .

I find it hard to to imagine Porsche opting for a "worse" solution for its 954/SCRS

John

Last edited by jcge; 09-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Updated with link to PDF manual
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
OK, I could not see the baro cell on the pictures.

The Bosch was used for 917 and 906/910/907 as well as an 8 cylinder version for 908 so if the Kugelfischer was available at that time then the Bosch must be as good or better since they certainly spared no expense in 1970-1973.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Pump

I built a 3.0 slide engine last year with one of those pumps new, it is supposed to be the SCRS pump, built a mount and linkage etc.. I was very happy with the way it ran and dynoed, the customer was very pleased with the driveability.

Mike Bruns JBRacing.com
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Old thread but figured I would comment. Have owned/raced 935's with both the "red knob" Bosch pumps and the kugelfischer pumps. All great motors but I prefer the kugelfischer 935/80 motors . But really, either way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcge View Post
Max - the Kugelfischer also has thermo compensation and an LDA for turbo applications. I haven't included all sections of the manual in the images above - you can access it here

I do not have Steve's experience with these pumps so cannot directly compare the Bosch/Kugelfischer in terms of which is "better".

I would note that the Kugelfischer's irregular cone appears to have a greater surface area than the Bosch, so potentially greater "resolution" (if you recall the increase in thickness of the space cams between early and later Bosch pumps to achieve this end) .

I find it hard to to imagine Porsche opting for a "worse" solution for its 954/SCRS

John
Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I bet they used this system because it was available, proven (then in use by bmw and ford 6cyl Racing teams). Also it was easier to fit than the ubiquitous Lucas system which typically ran off a camshaft or distributor drive. Iíve got a k-fisch in the stash and a Lucas system on an old triumph gt6. Itís a step WAY down from the K-Fisch but sure saw much wider use over a much longer period of time.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: