Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuild of a 98 993 3.6

I just pulled the powertrain out of my 993 to do a number of tasks including a head rebuild and changeout of the transmission. Though there are a number of engine drop articles in addition to the shop manual, there are always surprises. This being my first engine drop for this car, I was surprised to find about 5 or 6 additional cables/hoses not mentioned in the writeups that needed to be removed to allow removal of the motor from the car.

But, my most basic question is how to rig the engine to lift it from the cart so that I can put the motor onto an engine stand.

There is a single lug on top of the engine towards the bellhousing. Can the motor be lifted using this single lug? And can it be lifted with or without the transmission mounted? I first want to move the motor/transmission pair to an easier place to work on it to split the trans from the motor. Then I will want to lift the motor to install it on an engine stand.

Can someone provide advice and comments on this simple operation?
93 968 Cab - Amazon Green/Grey (gone)
89 Carrera Targa (sold)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Ernie -

Congrats on the engine drop! I would not use the single lug by itself to lift the engine! You can use the engine cross bar and transmission stud as lift points.

I have a rig that I made up from some wire cable and a piece of plywood w/4 holes - one in each corner. I string the cable around the rear engine cross bar and around the upper 2 transmission studs (which can be replaced w/bolts if necessary). I use large washers and nuts on the studs so the cable can't slip off. I use the piece of plywood on top of the engine to space the 4 corners of cable out and away from the fan and engine shroud etc... I then use a come-a-long hooked to the cable and to some VERY large lags in a beam in my garage ceiling. I can slowly raise the engine up this way to engine stand height. If the engine stand is your final destination, it's better to put the engine stand adapter on while on the ground - then you can run the cable through it instead of the studs etc...

I use this method to lift the engine and trans. 1 at a time. I do all my separating/mating on the ground.

I have also used my auto scissor lift to lift the engine up to the stand, but quite honestly it was more of a PITA to get it on/off the lift than just rigging up the come-a-long arrangement.

A hoist or scissor jack table would be best, but my ghetto method has work for me for years. . .

I wish I had photos to help explain better, but alas, I do not.

Good luck w/your project!

Tom
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I use a leveling bar from Harbor Freight with one chain through the front lug or transmission stud and the other on the engine cross bar in back. Makes it very easy.

1983 3.4L 911SC turbo, GT35R, flame ringed 8.5:1 JE's, MS3-MS3X sequential EFI, LS2(D585) CNP twin-plug ignition, full-bay intercooler, J&S Interceptor (twin 993 knock sensors/bridges), and working A/C. Another e85 corn panzer.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Tom,

So, you use a cut piece of plywood to act as a spreader bar to prevent the cable from hitting the engine. Then you loop a braided wire rope (1/4" dia?) across one leg of the spreader bar dropping down to the engine cross bar (the part that picks up the engine mounts, right?). Same arrangement on the bellhousing end of the engine except that you pick up the transmission bolts, right?

How do you attach the ends of the cable? Is this a simple loop that you have used some mechanical clamp to tie the ends of the wire cable? I assume that both loops hook across the hook coming off your come along, right?
93 968 Cab - Amazon Green/Grey (gone)
89 Carrera Targa (sold)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: