Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best High revving 911 SC Engine Build within my budget?

Hey guys I'm looking to build a motor which produces atleast 350hp at the flywheel and makes power to atleast 7500rpm for my 911 SC. The car is mainly for spirited street driving. I don't use it to go to work. With a 20k budget is this possible? If it is what motor would you use and what would you do with it? I don't mind going the supercharging route but I do want that high rpm sound. Basically I'm looking for a high powered screamer.

Thank you
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Boost or no boost? 7500 rpm is easy enough, but 350hp from a 3.0 based motor takes plenty of work and lots of revs...

Gertís Engine Rebuild & Upgrade (Chasing 300Hp, yes another one sorry)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For 20 grand, get away from the 3.0...
Bruce
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishawkat View Post
The car is mainly for spirited street driving. Basically I'm looking for a high powered screamer.
Forget 350hp. You can kill yourself easy enough with 250. In fact, that is not an easy number to get to with the 3.0. Plus all the other bits on your car are not GT3-ish. You and your passenger will die in that car.

However, I don't wish to scare you.

One of the best sounding 911 engines is the 911 RSR. See 1:50 in. It has 330hp.

Back off a bit and focus on intake, cam and piston changes that deliver higher compression and more importantly, engine sound through the intake - if you want some screaming. 230hp will eat your budget if done in a stout manner with the RPM's you desire. Twin plug, fancy (e.g., Pauter) rods, etc. You sure you need more than that with a 2,700 pound car with street brakes?

Check out baby high butterfly at Eurometrix for fantasy. Poof - there goes half your budget.

As noted, you can also get a 964 engine. 250-ish with no mods.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 06-26-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You can do a lot with $20K. The nice thing about a 3.0 is small bore and small stroke which means it'll rev. An SC crank will work with Supertec mods and stock rods are good to 7,000 rpm. I'd probably opt for Pauter to be safe. You'll need a 930 oil pump and '78 or '79 SC heads. 10.5:1 JE pistons, dual plug of your choice and a set of PMO 50s with GE 80 cams will make about 275 to 285 at the crank. I had a similar engine in a 2100 pound Targa and it would pull a C6 vette with not much problem especially past 100 mph. I'd stay away from EFI simply because of the expense and that fact that it's really not much better, if any, than PMOs. You are in for a treat.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Forget 350hp. You can kill yourself easy enough with 250. In fact, that is not an easy number to get to with the 3.0. Plus all the other bits on your car are not GT3-ish. You and your passenger will die in that car.

Back off a bit and focus on intake, cam and piston changes that deliver higher compression and more importantly, engine sound through the intake - if you want some screaming. 230hp will eat your budget if done in a stout manner with the RPM's you desire. Twin plug, fancy (e.g., Pauter) rods, etc. You sure you need more than that with a 2,700 pound car with street brakes?

Check out baby high butterfly at Eurometrix for fantasy. Poof - there goes half your budget.

As noted, you can also get a 964 engine. 250-ish with no mods.

I'm planning to upgrade the suspension as well but this is what my budget for the engine is. I'm also doing a widebody and am planning to fit fatter wheels and tires. There's plenty of cars out there with that weight making 400hp+ and doing it fine. You sure the 911's will have lots of trouble? As for forced induction I don't mined SC as they sound cool and don't interfere with the NA engine sound. Also engine swapping is an option but in the end I still want to make power in the higher RPM ranges.

Thank you
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
You sure the 911's will have lots of trouble?
I am sure that 350hp is more than you can use with confidence on a slightly modified SC other than the engine.

I hope you can build a knarly spinner for under $20k. I am interested. I am also not discounting your intentions, except for no one does 350hp with a 3.0 that will last for any length of time.

You have 2 posts and you want to build a monster. What would you like me to say, "Go for it?" I am providing MY feedback based on your input. Your expectations are way too high.

The end. Nothing more to it than that.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Also engine swapping is an option but in the end I still want to make power in the higher RPM ranges.
What lindy says has way more weight than my input.

I really like the idea of high revving with the intake sound going along with it. The forced induction has blow off valves popping and such, plus intake is closed off.

It don't sound the same.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Judging by your number of posts, maybe you haven't spent much time around these cars. Just an assumption, not an indictment. A 911 doesn't need 350 hp to be fast on the track. There are many stock "E" cars racing today that will amaze you with what they can do with 190 horses. That said, 350 would be really insane (like). The biggest problem would be longevity as a 3.0 making 300+ hp will have a 50 hour life before rebuild. If you want to go that route, there's lots of options. Little engines that make a lot of power just don't live long. Turbo charging will be the easiest way to get there but be very careful; a turbo engine that's not PERFECTLY tuned is soon a melted blob of aluminum. Very similar to taking your stack of "C" notes and setting them on fire.

This 3.0 made about 235 at the rear wheels which would be close to 270 at the crank. Very reliable and streetable. Not many street cars can hang with it.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

if you are looking for that much hp look into a 3.6 swap with some work done.
like everyone else daid- getting around 230-250RWHP makes our cars damn fast- loose a bit of weight and its a whole new car.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here is a $20K, 3.0 street/track engine. It makes 285 RW HP. With a more aggressive cams it could make 300 HP but would be no fun on the street because of the narrow power band.

Another RSR Clone Project - Dyno Day

To get more power, you would need custom heads with very high compression and you would need the oiling mods & custom rods to allow the motor to spin to 8500 RPM reliably. Again, narrow power band, not streetable and very expensive.

Xtreme Cylinder Heads for Porsche
Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
HRHski

Garage
If you are going to spend $20k, pick up a high mile 3.2 engine, it has so much more fuel and air management capability. With minor tweaking (minor rebuild), 270hp to 300hp is not difficult and it will last for 100,000 miles. Get the car down to 2500 pounds, not hard to do, and not much will stay with you at the lights.

It is amazing what 200 pounds less on an SC will do for the car. The handling improves dramatically, I had to lower it further. The engine feels like it gained 20hp to 30hp. My 911 SC 3.0 has 210hp at the wheels on the Dyno, at 2500 pounds it rips. Add some 120 octane racing fuel from time to time and save tons of money, still have a really fast car. Lighter is better than add on HP. It's easier on everything, transmission, transfer box etc.

Also, not to mention, if you try and can get 350hp out of your 3.0 or a 3.2 engine, your drive train, transmission, drive, ring and pinion will all suffer. That is also an expensive rebuild. Everything down the line needs to be upgraded or the end run gets destructive.

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com

Last edited by HRHski; 07-02-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
If I were to have $20k for 350 hp I'd be turboing. With turbo 350 is super easy.
$20k could get you some excellent parts plus top end for lower compression and valve job where you could prepare for higher revs if you so desire. Done.
With that you could easily kill yourself fast.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hot street engine...........

Back in November I finished building a 3.3SS engine for my SC coupe. I used the original 3.0 block, crank, oil pump and flywheel with just about everything else being replaced. I used a set of 100mm Mahle 10:1 pistons and LN Engineering slip fit cylinders. The rods are a set of stock 3.0 rods that have been rebuilt, shot peened and balanced by Ollie's. Heads are a set of mildly ported Carrera heads that have been cut for twin plugs. Cams are 964s and ignition is from an Electromotive XDi system. For intake, I used an early, large port SC air box and runners. The runners are ported to match the cylinder head intake ports. The CIS hardware (fuel distributor, wur, AAR, etc are all from a 1980 SC system. I added a 7th injector that adds fuel at wide open throttle to keep the engine from running lean at top rpms. Exhaust chores are handled by a set of SSI heat exchangers with a stock 2 in 1 out muffler. I added an a/f ratio gauge to help with tuning. At "normal" street speeds it runs around 14 a/f but at wide open throttle the a/f drops down to the low 13s. The ignition cut off is set at 7500 rpms. Keeping in mind that this was built to be a strong street engine with good mid range torque which it has. With the CIS system it starts easily and is still getting reasonable mileage. I haven't had a chance to put it on a dyno yet but I suspect that it is making about 250 rear wheel horsepower which would equate to just under 300 hp at the crank. I spent several years gathering the parts for this engine, buying most of them used from other Pelicans. The only things that were bought new were the pistons and cylinders and the ignition system. Total cost to build this engine wound up being somewhere between $11 - $12k. I provided all of the labor except for a valve refresh job done by Xtreme Cylinder Heads in Florida. Having a shop provide the labor would probably have pushed the cost of this build close to the $20k you are budgeting. Good luck with your project!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Dug this gem up, would love to hear more about this build.... It seems like a great "low" budget (by Porsche standards) performance build.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: