Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine from cart to stand

I need to get my engine from a transmission jack up to the engine stand. I tried several different points of attachment to a come along suspended from a strong WING ladder. The come along part worked well but using eye bolts from the engine mounts on the back me more deflection than I thought was safe. Is there a safe and convenient attachment point on the fan side of the engine? I have good attachment on the flywheel side with the engine stand yoke. I do not see a way to use the transmission jack to lift to the engine stand because I cannot get the stand legs and wheels under the transmission jack.

Thanks!

Gene
Old 12-13-2015, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Engine lift

I used the rear engine mount (both ends) as a lift point. Didn't experience any problems. I put the engine stand adapter on the front of the engine and used a piece of chain from the stand adapter and from each end of the rear engine mount to provide a 3 point lift.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Gene if you can get three other people and lift it, it's not that bad.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I used both sides of the engine mount, as well.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I went through this awhile back. I bought a hoist on CL for $80 but, if I $ weren't an issue I'd buy a !000 lb. hydraulic cart. The hoist brakes down for storage but, if you live on a postage stamp sized lot like me, it is a consideration. The factory lifting ring works great as lifting point. I would never trust a ladder to support a engine
Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
There has to be somewhere that you can hook a block and tackle up to to get it higher?
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in good shape now on the stand. The strange part was the way a crowbar I was using as an attachment point sagged and it got my attention! Alll's well that ends well. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I used two neighbors and myself. Was not bad at all to lift it up off my dolly on to the engine stand.

'75 911s Targa
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Unless you buy a cheap hoist from Harbor Freight Tools otherwise you will need two or three friends and a 12 pack for time..

Look for local renters on a hoist...

Cheers

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 12-14-2015, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

https://youtu.be/oK1Rzch89Dw?t=165

andy
Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Nice AJ-
Old 12-15-2015, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just realized you are in NJ. Let me know if you're in the Princeton area and need to borrow an engine hoist or hydraulic table when it's time to come off the stand.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you Froggert! I'm south of Princeton but one of the POs lives in Princeton! I hope to visit him in Spring.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: