Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Assist me with my engine

Hello helpful Porschistas,

I came across a great (no, incredible) deal on an engine from a highly respected Porsche mechanic that I just couldn't pass up. I knew I wanted to build Bruce Anderson's 2.7 RS carb'd engine and was talking to the mechanic and he just said he'd send me a bunch of stuff that I might find useful. So please assist me in identifying what I've got. I originally just set out to buy a case but the mechanic just gave me all the rest of this stuff and I wasn't about to look the gift horse in the mouth.

This car ('68) will be a canyon carver/streetcar with a 901/02 AFMSX gearing. I want low end street-able power.

Firstly, the pistons are the euro 2.7 8.5:1 ratio style. Can I run carbs and an T cam with this? I'm assuming a T cam would be best? Or just score actual RS pistons?

This is a 7R case: how do I identify the upgrades I need to make? I think time-certs have been installed but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

How can I clean this stuff at home, or just send it to a machine shop?

How can I tell if my cylinders are nikasil? Who should I send them to for replating? Cost?

Other thoughts, ideas, insults,...?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Depends on your budget.
I'd stick some JE's in there to bump up your CR and get some nicer cams.

Cylinders use a magnet, nikasil with have a slight attraction, not enough to stick the magnet, but enough that you can feel it.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm not a rich guy but I suppose if I save up I can afford whatever.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Is it me or is the pump missing a screen?

Send to a reputable machine shop and do it right You want the heads and cam tower to be flat as a mirror, Plus you want to hone those valve seats properly.

Break a Leg Brother!
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 07-19-2016, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Those early pumps had no screen. Carrera 3.2 pump is the first with the integrated screen.

andy
Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mark, cylinders are magnetic so they're nikasil. I only have three so I gotta find more.

Draco, Andy, the oil pump is the first version, up to '68 I think. It would prolly be best to find an sc pump.

I'm going to send it out as soon as I can figure out the closest shop and my budget recovers.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Mark, cylinders are magnetic so they're nikasil. I only have three so I gotta find more.

Draco, Andy, the oil pump is the first version, up to '68 I think. It would prolly be best to find an sc pump.

I'm going to send it out as soon as I can figure out the closest shop and my budget recovers.
The cylinders also have group numbers IIRC 1 thru 6 in a triangle at the bottom of the cylinder, so they will have to match the ones you have.
It also may be cost effective to sell the ones you have, buy a complete set of alusil cheap and have them nikasil plated.

So this is an incomplete set? What all are you missing?
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Those pistons are probably not worth using, unless you are on a tight budget.

You should probably shop around for pistons and cylinders. You would want around 9.5 to 1 CR. Lot's of choices. Cylinders bored to 92 or 93mm with JE pistons would be nice. Most 911 cylinders can be replated or bored. Usually about $150 to $200 each.

The case appears to have inserts installed, which is great. The big question about the case is the condition of the line bore. If in spec great. If not $. But that needs to be addressed. Cleaning is no big deal.

A T cam will be too mild in my opinion. I would recommend an E cam or Solex.

You should get Wayne's book on 911 rebuilding, it has all the answers.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mark, I didn't know about the numbering of cylinders, that's good to know.

I'm missing:

Crankshaft
Rockers and associated parts
Two connecting rods
Fan/alternator/housing
Oil tank
Three cylinders
Valve covers upper and lower
Flywheel/clutch/pressure plate
Chain and housings
Camshafts

I was assured that the case was in good condition and the reputation of the guy I bought it from is stellar.

You're right Gordon, BA recommended E cams.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Puny Bird

^^ 2nd on Wayne's book it's a good resource on what works and what doesn't. Plus it explains how to identify different parts, oiling mods, specs, assembly, etc.

Really it's required reading when asking questions here.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Mark, I didn't know about the numbering of cylinders, that's good to know.

I'm missing:

Crankshaft
Rockers and associated parts
Two connecting rods
Fan/alternator/housing
Oil tank
Three cylinders
Valve covers upper and lower
Flywheel/clutch/pressure plate
Chain and housings
Camshafts

I was assured that the case was in good condition and the reputation of the guy I bought it from is stellar.

You're right Gordon, BA recommended E cams.
You can do a WTB or just watch the FS section to find your missing parts.
Some of those parts are the expensive bits, even used.

Rods are a balanced set so a mismatch set will definitely need balancing, to me it's best to balance the whole engine.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Given the amazing price I paid for all this stuff I'm okay with buying the rest of the parts as I find good deals. My car has significant rust repair work to be done so I'm not in a hurry.

I have Wayne's book and have read it but I felt like it was a good idea to run things by the board to catch things I missed, like the numbering of cylinders. Wayne doesn't really talk about BA's 2.7 RS engine likely to avoid stepping on toes.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: