Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what engine (character) to choose?

Hi,

I finished my '69 2.0T full restoration after 18 years. I had a lot of fun, some frustration and learned a lot!!!
Now this restoration ends after 18 years, I look for a new challenge......
Not a new car project -> no money & no space to work.....

The new challenge will be a more powerfull/revvy (fun) engine!
(nevertheless the current 2.0T runs like a dream (thanks to Nick fulljames -> Air-cooled Porsche 911 engine experts | Nick Fulljames - Redtek, Brackley, Northamptonshire)

Because the restored car is a fully matching numbers with all history in bills and letters etc., I will keep the fully rebuild engine untouched.

I bought myself a complete European 2.4T (Zenith TIN40) with 7R case (small spigots) as a starting point.

After reading a lot of engine building stories, it is still difficult for me to substract the engine character corresponding to the different described builds!
As I am not in the opportunity to try(test drive) different engine configurations I hope people can match my discription to a more specific engine configuration.....

Discription of what I would like:
max 200-210 hp
engine character: not a screamer however pulling strong from 4000+ rpm uptill max 7500 rpm. low and bottom torque secondary, however I should be able traveling through town ;-
I just like the hear and feel of these engines when they come "on-cam".
It should run on carbs (Zeniths would be nice as I have set coming with the car but I read different stories on tuning, otherwise I will find myself a set of Webers

I just hope that you guys who build something special (and there are many ;-) can give
me a direction to go!

thanks,
Bart
p.s. Imagine I come from a 2.0T
Old 07-20-2016, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would suggest a 2.5 configuration with Mod S cams and 9.5 CR pistons. Have your cast iron cylinders bored to 86 mm and use a set of new 86 mm pistons with 9.5 CR. You will need to open up the intake ports in the heads to 34 mm to full advantage of the Mod S performance cams and the higher compression.

You should also have the standard mag case work done including time cents, oil bypass mod and resizing. A later, 4 rib oil pump will allow you to take advantage of the oil bypass modification.

This is a tried and true "hot rod" configuration that should put you close to the 200 HP mark with good driveability on the street.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hi Tom,

thanks for reply!

after doubting a lot this is indeed the direction I will probably go.
most of the parts are there but should be need to be worked on, like case cilinders and heads.
I tried to figger out at different cam grind shops, but could not figure out if it is possible to regrind T-cams to mod S or Solex.
I read a lot of stories saying that E-cams are better/more drivable then S or solex....what is your opinion on this?

thanks,
Bart
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Solex cams were always my favorite in all my old 911's that were under 2.5 liters and S cams for anything larger.
Old: 68 912, 67 911, #2 67 911, 66 911, 70 911S, 72 914, 89 944TS, 79 928, 83 928, 72 911T (2.7RS), 89 964 C4, 66 912, 70 911E, 84 911 coupe, 1973 914/6 with 993 engine, 7 other formula cars (professionally licensed).
Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can T-cams be (re)grind to Solex cams (or S-cams)?

I am getting close to the engine build of my dreams within the money I can spent.
it will be a 2.5 (70.4 x 86) I try to figure out what are the possibilities of regrinding T-cams.....
Henry Schmidt mentioned about. DC 30 mod. S, i also hear a majority for Solex or E- cams!
is a T-cam a good starting point to regrind to one of the above or should I buy/search other ones?

cheers,
Bart
"the Lowlands"
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bart

You can't regrind T cams into any performance profile. The Mod S cam is a compromise between the high power of the S and the driveability of the E. I use John Dougherty at DRC Camshafts for 911 performance cams.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: