Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How much

I/we are considering rebuilding a 3.0 for our '75 911s. Roughly how many special tools and how much of a $$ investment is required for special tooling?

thanks

Last edited by 930cabman; 10-15-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 10-15-2016, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you are doing it yourself search for my build. It is called rookie 3.0 rebuild.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

probably around 4 times as much as you're thinking.. if asking this.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

1k?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on what you've already got in the garage for tools. My toolbox was already well-stocked (torque wrenches, sockets, lots of metric tools from wrenching on other German cars) when I started my 2.7 rebuild. I think I spent ~$1k on engine yoke, special cam tools, clutch alignment tool, various new wrenches, and raw material to improvise some tools (like the rear main seal install tool, flywheel holder, etc). Take a look at Pelican's engine tool section.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
There is a book on this.
Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI
It is a worthwhile investment.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1k is about right...

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 10-17-2016, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
Depends on what you've already got in the garage for tools. My toolbox was already well-stocked (torque wrenches, sockets, lots of metric tools from wrenching on other German cars) when I started my 2.7 rebuild. I think I spent ~$1k on engine yoke, special cam tools, clutch alignment tool, various new wrenches, and raw material to improvise some tools (like the rear main seal install tool, flywheel holder, etc). Take a look at Pelican's engine tool section.
Thanks, I have most basic sockets,wrenches, blah,blah.

1k is a reasonable $ to invest.

BTW, how does she run? what would/would not have done
Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
From the Porsche Repair Manual

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Dude abides...

Garage
If you're planning to purchase the tools you need (i.e., you don't have and can't borrow) you should figure more like $2k all in.

And again, it depends on how much you're planning to do and what you find when you open her up.

I was in the same boat about 2.5 years ago, needing to drop the engine to replace broken head studs on my 3.2 with nothing else (seemingly) needed. Just do it over time and buy the bits a little at a time and before you know it, you'll be raising the engine/trans back into the car.

But I think $1k is a little light for planning purposes.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: