Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Windage screens

Pelicans:
What is the consensus of using the wire oil control (windage) screens in the early 2L cars? There are two other threads I can find on this. One from 2013 and the other from 2003.

Windage screens???

and

Oil baffle or "windage screen" functionality

Both seem suggest leaving them out other than for Chris' post.

Do folks 'up grade' later motors with these as they seem to be dropped by the 2.4L cars.

Curious as I am getting ready to button up the case and am having choice paralysis!

Because I know it will be asked... its a frankenstein built on a mish mash of hot rod parts (so accurate to porsche is not an issue): Al case (by pass, shuffle pin, screw plugs) running 92 mm Mahle, Ti rods, Ti pins, Heads by S. Weiner, 3.8RSR cams on 101 LC, solid lash cap rockers, straight cut IS gears, GT3 pump, etc.

Ill be putting up a build soon. Its been so slow (years) I figured I'd actually get something done before posting so the thread doesn't languish :-).

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by tadd; 10-20-2016 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
As these screens along with their gasket like edging get older, there's an increased risk of degradation/disintegration as mentioned in one of those threads. I think I'd leave them out of my motor unless someone gave me a brand new set. I guess it comes down to risk/reward. You'll be spinning your motor a lot faster than mine so your reward may be greater. I might add my 2.4T had those screens...
06 Kaw KLR-650A
10' Madone 5.2/17' Lynskey ProCross
Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Leave it out due to disintegration risks.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There has been some debate about these screens as also preventing debris from broken springs and the like ending up in the crankcase.

Some engine builders fit screens into the cam towers to stop this from happening and I wonder if the main reason for the screens is the crankcase.

I still believe that windage should be reduced if possible but may be these screens don't do this job very well

We have a few 901/01 engines so we may make some new screens if the old one's do disintegrate as I like the idea that they trap debris.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you!
Y'all are awesome. I truly appreciate the professionals weighing in!

Really looking forwards to putting your CNC magic to work Steve! They have sat on a shelf for far too long...The only sad part is I won't get to look at them every day! Should have had you do an extra just to admire!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: