Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Zenith vs PMO

I have recently purchased a 1971 911T 2.2 which I intend to restore over the next few years. I can see the Zenith 40 carburetors are in dire need of rebuilding and I have been talking to a local Porsche mechanic and he is suggesting that I don't waste the time and expense of rebuilding these 45 year old carburetors and I should replace the Zeniths with the PMO carburetors. I am not looking for speed just reliability. Before I go down this path I am seeking for any advise?
Old 10-21-2016, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the forum! I've attached a few links from our site's tech articles that I think you'll find very helpful in making your decision in regards to the carbs. Best of luck!

Porsche 911 Carburetor Adjustment, Balance and Tuning | 911 (1965-73) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Porsche 911 Carburetor Rebuild | 911 (1965-73) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

-Dmitry
Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
If you intend to keep the motor stock, or near stock, there is no reason to switch to Webers or PMOs, unless you want the bling, want to fiddle with the setup, are willing to spend $4k, or are going to greatly modify your motor.

The fact is, Zeniths are more efficient than Webers (not sure how PMOs compare) and on a stock motor they run great.

They shouldn't be that hard to rebuild. Just make sure you replace the needles and seats as part of the rebuild.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 10-21-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Get in touch with Paul Abbott at Performance Oriented. Very experienced in Porsche 911 carbs.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Zenith's are VERY good and I'd do everything possible to retain them, unless higher power is required.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-22-2016, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
Zenith's are VERY good and I'd do everything possible to retain them, unless higher power is required.
I agree but we do re-jet and change venturis and run them up to around 250BHP with great results.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Zenith vs PMO

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question about staying with my Zenith carburetors vs. changing to the PMO's for my 1971 911T. I am reconsidering the idea of changing.

Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: