Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ultrasonic cleaning engine parts

Dear Friends
i Just bought 360 liter ultrasonic cleaning machine to clean our very contaminated cylinder head and other engine parts, but the result is not like as we see on YouTube videos ,
so i just wondering if those clips are really true, Which part of our work is wrong? since we never seen that kind of cleanness on our automotive parts as we see on advertisement .
its very kind of you if you could help us about our problem ?
our machine specification : 360 liter / 3600 Watt ultrasonic power / 28 khz / bottom mounted transducers / power control - degas mode and automatic loading and unloading .
do you think the problem is our machine or we have to find a better detergent ?
do you use any kind of pre washing method before putting in your ultrasonic ?
how much time approximately do you spend for cleaning very contaminated engine parts on your machine?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
NOS driver

I used a professional service to clean my carburators with ultrasound and I was quite disappointed with the results. They weren't bad, but some grime was still there and I could wipe it off easily with a towel. I was told it has to do with the shape of the parts, cleaning inside the fuel bowls for example isn't easy because the waves don't get there. But the whole point of cleaning a carb is getting to remote places! So I've given up, I'm currently very intrigued by steam cleaning.
luca
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I prefer power washing and spraying with degreaser after using Safety Kleen
Bruce
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

ultrasonic

I have a 60 gallon machine about 11 years old does not clean like it used to. My shop does Porsche transmissions the gears are cleaner with a safety kleen hot soap and water machine. I think the soaps have changed.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My housings go in the jet wash first. Nothing dirty goes in the ultrasonic. I use it for final cleanup only but no longer removes any final residue. It burns up tinfoil like it should so the generators are working. No longer worth the electricity to run it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Ultrasonic cleaners made in China........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
I prefer power washing and spraying with degreaser after using Safety Kleen
Bruce

Bruce,

I am back to manual cleaning using same methods as you. Bought two (2) untrasonic cleaners in a span of 3 years and they cost more to fix than purchase a new unit. They work well with my wife’s jewelry but not with my dirty parts. Will next try a stove steamer that I got from my daughter.

Tony
Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
I bought a heated ultrasonic cleaning tank a few years ago for cleaning watch parts (my other passion...). It's definitely better when using the heat, and I use a solution specifically for watch parts, but despite this, I'm never bowled-over by the quality of the cleaning. In fact, cleaning some oyster/president style bracelets was a bit rubbish, still grease in the hard-to-get to areas. In the end, I used that warm cleaning solution with a toothbrush and cleaned it manually...defeats the object completely. So no, I'm not a particular fan of U/S cleaners....underwhelming.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

I worked with this today.
Good results on my case and cam carriers
Old 02-25-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodri64 View Post

I worked with this today.
Good results on my case and cam carriers
What cleaning solution did you use? Was it heated? How long?
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

It is called H7, it is a degreaser.
Two hours, no heat.
I had to scrub some but good results
Old 02-25-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
1967 frankenporsch

I also cleaned the case.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

We use a Jet washer and soda blasting for effect. Parts look like new when done.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I have found with my ultrasonic cleaner that greasy stuff does better with pre-clean. If the solution is clean and the parts are not greasy works really well (think old carb that's not greasy) with gas stains). If parts are greasy it seams to not work as well basically turning the grease and water into a homogenized solution (like 2% milk) where the grease is now evenly dissolved in the solution and still all over the part. I also found that more detergent was a good thing. I now save up parts to clean and go from least oily to most.

john
Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks for share info in this threads
Old 02-28-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: