Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jerry Woods Carrera Tensioner Chain Gaurds. What is proper tension for chains?

I have a 78 SC motor with new Carrera pressure fed tensioners. I bought JWs newer chain guard kit, which is a "cap" and spacers that fit on the tip of the tensioner and prevent complete collapse in case of failure. There are 12 different spacer combos I can have. I also bought his tension guard tool kit. I cannot figure out how tight is too tight. Using my fingers to hand tighten the tool I can make a large range of possible gaps between the idler arm and top of tensioner. Who has installed these before that knows the proper way to set tension?

Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, I canít be of any help with your question, but could give a link to the product? A quick search didnít help me find it.

Thanks

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 04-22-2018, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I found it by talking to a guy at Jerry Woods. I was calling looking for the external locking collar. This is what I bought.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Andy,

They donít list it on their website, so I guess I would need to call to see if it is still available.

-Rutager

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 04-22-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Schleprock

Use the tensioner's ability to load the chain as your guide. The tensioner itself is presently loading the chain in its resting position. A common misconception is the oil feed/pressure from the running engine is what provides the chain tension. Actually the oil mostly provides a dampening of spring tension and doesn't provide all the actual load/support.

So with the tensioner installed, use the amount of play you feel in the chain as your guide for setting the tension with the tool. That's why the directions say "slightly load the chain" because JWE wants you to establish the same amount of chain tension, but only a little bit more, that is currently being applied by the tensioner.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Its not the tension, it is the clearance when installing the limiters in the tensioners. If your tensioner is not firm, replace it. No reason to take chances.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 04-23-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I spoke with Jerry Woods today. Basically the tensioning tool is designed to act as a third hand. I used one hand and squeezed the idler arm tight with my thumb under idler arm and fingers on top of chain housing. Use your other hand and adjust the tensioning tool to to keep it tight. Some fiddling to get the feel of it, but finger tight.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: