Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Great build thread & great video. Best luck can't wait for pt 3.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

This is awesome!!! Great thread and very educational. Looking forward to part 3!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Outstanding! Love the vids and detailed pics.

MattR
Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Cam housings and sprocket alignment

More work on the engine rebuild, cam housings, camshafts, timing chain housings and the sprocket alignment. I had a couple of issues, firstly I'm not very skilled with the crows foot wrench for the sprocket retaining nut. I really struggled to get it to 110ft-lbs multiple times without the wrench slipping off, so I ordered the Stomski racing cam nut tool. I also didn't realize the cam sprocket shims were 0.5mm and not the 0.25mm as described in Waynes book but all worked out and I'm ready to tackle the cam timing next. Wish me luck on that one!

I made a little video of the process.

Clean cam housings, cam shafts with the E-cam grind, oil return tubes, o-rings and all the hardware laid out on my clean tray.

New oil return tubes installed, when I ordered them they were yellow zinc and when they arrived .... they weren't. I loosened the head stud nuts to give myself some wiggle room for the cam housings.

Installed the cam housings dry, no Loctite 574 yet as I need to measure for the valve to head clearance. It all needs to come apart again.

Torqued the cam housing nuts first then the head stud nuts before trying the cam shafts in their housings, both spun freely (thank God!)

Everything I need laid out on my clean tray, parts, gaskets, 0-rings and the tools to do the job.

Installed the timing chain housing with a dry gasket and the chain ramp with the short end facing in.

Installed the camshaft end plate with paper gasket and o-ring, large washer bevel side in and 3 shims. The woodruff key give me some grief even though I test fit it on the bench. Sprocket flange over the camshaft.

I got confused about the thickness of the shims, the book says 0.25mm but they are 0.5mm. I started with 3, went to 4 and then went back to 3 on the right side!

Tightening the retaining nut to 110ft-lbs multiple times as I swapped the shims was very difficult with my novice skill levels using the crows foot wrench, I've ordered the Stomski Racing cam nut tool for the next step.

Measuring the sprocket alignment from my straight edge. The camera tripods were a set of helping hands and worked out great. The measurement on the left side was bang on with 3 shims, the right was close enough with 3 shims also.

Cheers!

-Kav.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice! Thank you for taking the time to document your build.

dho
Old 11-16-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

You will like the Stomski tool for tightening and loosening the cam nut ! Much easier to use.

On the nuts inside the timing boxes (holding the box to the case and the nut that holds the tensioner), I have been counseled to use standard nuts with wave washers as opposed to the fiberlock nuts. I noticed that the fiberlock was not getting well down over the threads, thus the question of their being effective. The answer was go back with wave washers and standard nuts.

I'm sure you will get differing opinions...

You can see the issue here..

Changed over as described....

1962 S90 Coupe - Gone, but never forgotten
1985 Targa - A distant memory...
Old 11-16-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superninety View Post
You will like the Stomski tool for tightening and loosening the cam nut ! Much easier to use.

On the nuts inside the timing boxes (holding the box to the case and the nut that holds the tensioner), I have been counseled to use standard nuts with wave washers as opposed to the fiberlock nuts. I noticed that the fiberlock was not getting well down over the threads, thus the question of their being effective. The answer was go back with wave washers and standard nuts.

I'm sure you will get differing opinions...

You can see the issue here..

Changed over as described....

Great advice! Thanks! I will do the same and go back to regular nuts with wave washers!

Cheers!

-Kav.

Last edited by kav; 11-17-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I just wanted to thank you for making the effort of video taping your process.
I am sure it slows things down, and takes a lot of time to edit.
There are a lot of people out here who always wanted to get near an engine rebuild, but never got the chance.
For most of us, this is as close as we'll ever get.
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Torque Adapter Wrench

What is the brand of the Torque Adapter that is shown in the video @ 8:23?
Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Great vids

Kav, thanks so much for taking the care and time to post your videos. Very professional and helpful. I hope to follow in your for steps one day with my non-driving ‘73 911T targa project! Look forward to seeing you behind the wheel of your beautiful 911 in 2019!

Last edited by Left_coast*9; 12-28-2018 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Type-O
Old 12-28-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Your videos were a massive help in my build. The videos have been one step ahead of me the whole way along which has been awesome!
I've just caught up and am finalising cam timing and piston / head clearance checks.
Looking forward to your next update!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: