Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dumb Newbie Question (no. 1): please don't flame me!

Ok, so full disclaimer here. I've never torn down or rebuilt an engine. Ever. Until now. My 81 Euro SC came with an '84 3.2 which the PO installed after discovering a broken head stud in the original 3.0 (930/10) motor. When I bought the car I got the original engine as well, and decided to buy a stand, purchase a few tools and Wayne's book, and do the breakdown and clean up myself before sending everything out for machining/refurbishing and re-building. The plan is to hot-rod it a bit and put it back into the car, and do something fun with the 3.2 (like a long hood 912 track car or something!).

I'm in no rush and I'm really enjoying the learning process. As I go, I learn more, and my appreciation for this flat six air-cooled platform just grows and grows. At this point the chain boxes are off, the cam towers are off, the cams are out and the heads are also off. So the next step is to remove the p &C's, so I can clean them up and inspect (and likely replace since I'm thinking 3.2ss).

Wayne's book says to rotate the engine so that the cylinder I want to remove has the piston at its lowest point, and then once the cylinder is out, rotate the engine so that the piston is at its highest point so I can remove the piston from the rod by removing the circlip, etc.... So here is the dumb question:

Since the chains are hanging free on both sides of the engine, how should I rotate the engine so that I don't bind up or jam the chains? I'm worried that if I rotate the engine with no tension on the chains, stuff will get jammed up inside. Is there some procedure for turning the engine when the cams and tensioners are out, or should I just turn the engine and not worry about it. I'll be splitting the case of course but just thought I'd ask since I haven't seen this question addressed anywhere. Thanks in advance (there will be many more questions like this...so please accept my apologies in advance!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Put the chain gear in the hanging chain. It keeps it from binding
Bruce
Old 05-22-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Chain binding

Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

as bruce says, just pull the chain to hold it like a long bike chain. If it goes tight becuase you forgot and it starts to bind, go backwards on the crank.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Dumn not to ask, we are here to help if we can.

Just do not force things and be well organized, read allot watch allot of videos. You can do it!
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-30-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottArizona View Post
The plan is to hot-rod it a bit and put it back into the car, and do something fun with the 3.2 (like a long hood 912 track car or something!).
I just received the August "Excellence" today and they have an article about a 3.2 in a long hood 912. The owner is Daniel Ricciardo, a Red Bull F1 driver from Australia. It just came and I've only scanned the article but the specs say: 300hp, 265ftlbs at 2,028 lbs. They call it a 912/6 "Outlaw."
Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bruce (Flat6pac) has helped me IMMENSELY on my engine assemblies.. If not for his advice it would have taken me a lot longer.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: