View Single Post
Engineer of profanity

Garage
New to me 1984 ROW 928S Euro

Long time no see 928ers. I just bought a nonrunning 1984 928S Euro ROW project car. I had seen the car sitting years ago and have chased this car in hopes of buying it for about 5 years. This is the 310HP hotwire version.The interior looks decent but is going to need some work. The body is excellent with no dents anywhere and original paint.
I'm trying to slowly get some work done on it, but would like to share my progress and get some information at the same time. It's not running at this time.
I'll start with the good. The car has fuel pressure, new fuel and clean tank. The fuel pump works, and the tach bounces when I turn on the key. The engine turns over well with no noises or scrapes. The engine oil looks good. The engine has full antifreeze. The timing belt looks fairly new and the cams appears to be in time.
So far I have not had time to see if the injectors are pulsing or not. I'll know by tomorrow. I do know that the car is not firing which would indicate that the EZF ignition control unit is toast. I believe the LH is working but have not had time to troubleshoot it fully. I've only had the car about two days.
Questions:
1)Does anyone here have a copy on PDF of the 928 EZK and LH troubleshooting guide by Tecknic? I have the factory manuals, but they are hard to understand.
I'm hoping to be able to afford a used EZF unit to start trying to get moving on this project soon. Let me know what you guys think.
2)Is this harness to the flywheel sensor acceptable and what are the options for replacing it (see photo 4)?
3) Any tips on troubleshooting the EZF and LH?
I'm pretty sure this car is an early twin distributor non interference 4.7 engine, but does anyone know the VIN parameters to verify?

This car was running and driving fine at one time, but quit running one day at which time the owner Jeff stored the car in his dry garage. Jeff died 3 years ago and the car switched hands. It's been lingering around the parking lot of a local auto shop for two years because the owner bought a used (also water damaged) EZF and it did not fix the car. I have two EZF units but neither of them fire the car. So I made a deal to pay the bill and got the title for a few hundred dollars. The car is now back under cover in my barn for the first time in about three years.
I know this is going to be a big project but I'm dedicated to getting this car running at whatever cost because to me it's the pinnacle of 1980's 928's. I would appreciate any information that will help me from you other ROW owners.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26/16996053_1417652888306456_6171821554774819899_n148 8447939.jpg[/img]

Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)