Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW 5-Series E28/E34/E39/E60/F10/GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mechatronics issues and Programing???

2007 BMW 530xi automatic, 220,000 miles

Hello All,

Short story quick:

My BMW's transmission began slipping (as I felt) earlier this year. The slipping was only noticeable while accelerating. Took it into the BMW dealership and the tech found no code issues but did find a minor leak so they replaced mechatronics sleeve and pan. He felt the slipping was actually a miss caused by one of the coil packs. I didn't agree but I went ahead and changed all of the packs myself. The slipping continued and one day I did briefly get a transmission error and it went into fail safe mode. That error went away immediately and the slipping improved over the next few months to the point it wasn't discernible. So I thought possibly cured.....

The car performed perfectly for the next few months. Then recently I got another transmission error and it goes into fail safe mode. When I park the vehicle it won't now release out of park; minus manually lifting locking mechanism under shift boot.

Anyhow, INPA now gives the following code errors.

1) 002AD0....no message from transmission control unit, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG

2) 004E24.....EGS: Electronic pressure control valve 5

3) 0054C6.....VTG: Oil Wear

The BMW technician made me aware of the transfer case Oil Wear issue earlier this year but recommended not changing it. The other two errors are new. I ran INPA/WinkFp on it myself.

INPA states the mechatronics needs to be replaced and from my research that seems to be the most likely culprit? So I have purchased one from a BMW of same make/model.

1) Do you have any insight and do I seem to be on the right track?

2) Should I only go with the ZF automatic transmission fluid or is Pentosin ATF1 acceptable? How can I verify that Pentosin is acceptable because some say it's ok whereas others vehemently say stick with ZF and most definitely don't mix them. Just FYI, If I keep the car I will probably change the trans oil and pan after each 40k miles here out.

3) Should I try to re-use my TCU or go with the new mechatronics TCU. That vehicle had 102k miles on it. I just don't understand if my TCU may have a problem also given first listed error 002AD0?

Your insight and suggestions is appreciated.

God Bless,
Ralph
Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: