Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Found this link while looking up multimeters...

My Radioshack multimeter isn't accurate enough to give a good reading on anything so I went looking for a more accurate meter that won't break the bank.

I was comparing multimeters (Fluke and Craftsman) when I came across a link that lists all of the current Craftsman multimeters with manuals, demos, etc...

http://www.metersupport.com/pages/index.html

I'm thinking the 82334 should be accurate enough for the task (.3% +2 digits up to 400mV). The 81079 doesn't seem that much more accurate for double the price.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

curious how you know the radio shack one isnt accurate enough? i have two radio shack units, one if the typical auto range handheld with probes, the other is a nice tiny unit for travel. the larger one can report faster and more accurate than the small one. the small one still serves its purpose of seeing if something is getting proper current. and in a pinch will do fine for adjusting the TPS...however the regular handheld is preferred. sorry, not trying to argue any point other than the question of how can one determineif their multimeter is accurate? thanks.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

'how can one determineif their multimeter is accurate'

if it says 'FLUKE' on it

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Regarding accuracy, there are a couple of things I was considering:

1. How granular can the meter read? What range and what increment? For instance 0-400mV increments of 1mV would work nicely for TPS.

2. What's the measured accuracy spec for range that it will be used? The manual usually specifies this.

My particular Radioshack meter is a pocket version I bought for $15 a while back. It has limited range on DC voltage. If I were to use it for TPS, I would only be able to read to the nearest .01V and it wouldn't be a very accurate .01V.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Even then, it would do fairly well. It means you wouldn't be able to see .385 on the meter, but rather, only .380 or .390. Not a big loss, for this application. Even then, you're free to set the TPS halfway between the two positions that give you .380 and .390, i.e. about .385. I'm an EE and am into accurate elec instruments, but it's really overkill at some point.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 06-22-2007, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cool

How about a nice Simpson? That's what we have.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by feds27
Regarding accuracy, there are a couple of things I was considering:

1. How granular can the meter read? What range and what increment? For instance 0-400mV increments of 1mV would work nicely for TPS.

2. What's the measured accuracy spec for range that it will be used? The manual usually specifies this.

My particular Radioshack meter is a pocket version I bought for $15 a while back. It has limited range on DC voltage. If I were to use it for TPS, I would only be able to read to the nearest .01V and it wouldn't be a very accurate .01V.
then a radio shack hand held unit would siffice for home shop use. as i mentioned the differences between the two units i have is more speed than resolution. both can report a range accuracy for setting the TPS.

the only think fluke i have is a circuit tester for outlets and wiring (house wiring) and an IR thermometer (for cooking of course).

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Kraut Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by repoe3
then a radio shack hand held unit would siffice for home shop use. as i mentioned the differences between the two units i have is more speed than resolution. both can report a range accuracy for setting the TPS.

the only think fluke i have is a circuit tester for outlets and wiring (house wiring) and an IR thermometer (for cooking of course).

repoe3
I would get a better VOM. I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight and worked good for a while until one day it was giving false readings on 110v circuit I was working on. I canned it and bought an average Craftsman’s one and have had no problems since.
If you want the best buy a Fluke. We used them at work and they are top quality.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bigred455
BMW only allows two models of DVOM to be used when testing there airbag systems (unless using the BMW meter) and guess what they are both Flukes. But, for the home mechanic i would settle on the craftsman no sweat.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by captainasty
How about a nice Simpson? That's what we have.
+1

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Hey ya'll watch this

I use a Fluke 744.

Midvale School for the Gifted
Class of 1990.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: