Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Road America, at the track with the boys

I couldn't find a thread, so here's what I have to report: Dean called me and told me the Bomb Bike built by San Jose BMW and reportedly putting out rwhp to rival the HP2 in Europe, has dropped an exhaust valve, ruining the unobtainium hand made piston Chris Hodgson designed and the very highly massaged, ported head.

But wait! The excellent folks at BMW of Milwaukee, in the person of John Erdmann, is donating a brand new R1200S to the team, temporarily I assume, from which both heads and piston assemblies are being transplanted; the valves are being set as I type this. The fault lay with the valves somehow, in their manufacturing process I'm told.

Shades of the Morton's BMW donation at VIR of an R1200S at VIR in April, thanks to the prodding of our resident fast guy Nate Kern! This aid to a far away but worthy BMW Endurance Team will never be forgotten! Please support both these dealerships, and tell them you appeciate their efforts.

I've asked about practice times from Nate, Brian and Tom Montano, but have no info yet. The San Jose team will have on board video and will download it so we can ride with the fast guys in the race, or so I'm told.
That was told me by master tech Brett Malak's dad and race addict Joe Malak, who travelled from Atlanta with his wife Maryann to take pics and keep us informed. The video will be very cool!

More: Nate won the Thunderbike race, 4 laps on the long track, from pole position. Way to go Nate! Tom Montano, starting from the rear ina field of about 20 bikes, finished in 4th place turning in the 2:32's.

Dean said Brian's time from the first race, another 4 lapper, Heavyweight Superbike Expert, was in the 2:26 range, which everybody is very happy with. He was beaten by a GSXR by just a hair. Wish I could have seen that one!

The BMW boys are turning and burning in Wisconsin!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Thanks, Will. Video will be very cool! Great to see Nate back in the saddle and doing so well so soon.

Curious- what were Nate's lap times and how far back in the grid did Brian start the Heavyweight Superbike Expert race? Was Brian riding the Bomb Bike before it dropped the valve?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Carlton
Curious- what were Nate's lap times and how far back in the grid did Brian start the Heavyweight Superbike Expert race? Was Brian riding the Bomb Bike before it dropped the valve?
Dean didn't have Nate's lap times, Steve. Good enough to win the race and get pole position! Don't know his grid position - I asked Dean who wasn't sure and wished to remain vague so he could torture me.

It was probably Brian riding the Bomb. Sudden death when a valve drops off its stem, and kisses the piston ever so briefly on its way to the underworld in a soup of ruined hot aluminum and steel.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Will,
I hope both you and N8 can make it to Iowa next weekend for Moto-ST. What's the status of either of you being there?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jalopy
Will,
I hope both you and N8 can make it to Iowa next weekend for Moto-ST. What's the status of either of you being there?
Well, my Dad has gotten married again. He's 85, and his bride is 83. They're coming to the left coast tomorrow for a week, and I'll be showing them the big redwoods and feeding them abalone and margaritas.

Hence no Road America, nor Iowa Speedway, alas. Nate, I believe, has a BMW event to attend nearby somewhere. Maybe we can get him to chime in...Nate?

Believe me, I'm in pain by not being able to be at the races. But Dad might have finally found his match. She's a doctor!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thunderbike Qualifying

Spoke with Nate a few hours ago, Brian qualified 1st, Nate 3rd, and Tom 5th! My vote's to see Nate out there with Brian in Moto ST tomorrow, San Jose isn't a Team without him ! For what he's overcome the last 2 months, he's shown his dedication...I know he can pull out some endurance once that race gets going!

I take that back...looks like Tom got bumped to 10th for being over the horsepower limit:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=29539

Last edited by bmwfan1; 07-07-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Looks like Brian broke a track record for qualifying at 2:28.147, over 1.5 seconds ahead of the next qualifier. Dean told me in practice, he even turned a couple of laps in the 2:26s.

Brian was on the MotoST bike, and Tom was on the Bomb Bike. They have some sort of formula, around 4 lbs/hp, and the Bomb Bike was just barely over the limit.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Brian didn't just do 26's in practice: He qualified 9th in ASRA Superbike!

9. Brian Parriott (BMW R 1200 S), 2:26.818

Another interesting bit from RRW:

"San Jose BMW also has former AMA Pro Thunder Champion Tom Montano on hand as a reserve rider in case Kern in unable to ride. Kern is coming back from breaking his right hand/wrist six weeks ago, but he has successfully competed in several CCS and ASRA events so far this weekend at Road America."

So perhaps I'll get to meet N8 AND see him race next week after all! The drama continues....

But as for you Will, that counts as good enough reason to miss a couple races. You are excused. Kiss the Bride for me.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I wonder which bike Brian used when he qualified 9th for Superbike, the MotoST bike or the stronger/lighter Bomb Bike? And I wonder if it was before or after the BB got the stock top end band-aid?

I think Nate is the reserve rider for this weekend's MotoST, but Chris and/or Brian can put him in in place of Tom if they choose. Nate's faster, but may not have the stamina for an endurance race this soon. I'm sure Tom will get faster on the BMW as he gets more used to it. Also, Nate isn't available for the MotoST race next weekend at Iowa Speedway.

Race starts tomorrow at 12:30pm Pacific time. There should be some live timing on the moto-st.com website...
Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Will. Things are going good, Im ok with qualifying, not happy though. Today's race will be a wild one in Natl. Tbike.

Irony has it that the BMW rally is not far from here, but that was not my intentions. If I cant ride I will say so. I want to win as badly as they do. Hopefully they can keep their bikes running.

I got kinda screwed by a slower rider we came upon in qualifying. It was the best lap so far and Brian and I were working together due to the draft being the most imperative thing here.

The only way to get any decent time is with a draft. 28' and 29's no problem on your own, but anything lower is just a draft from a barley faster bike pulling you. a 1000 is gone, no draft.

Again, I will admit Im feeling like ****. period. SO what if I won early in the weekend, followed up with a 2nd. I was fresh. This F'ing bone bruise (femur) is what is plaguing me. I need to get rid of it as I was just asked to go back to Europe and race in Germany (World Endurance) in Aug.

Also, if you dont mind me saying. The new modified R1200S I rode in Le Mans is far different and better than what we have. There is no rival built to what AG has slaved over and just making better.

Apologees for a semi frusterated post, just want to get back to feeling good again! Thank you for all your support as it is what is keeping me up front! Time to go!

N8!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Nate if you need to feel frustrated in public without criticism...this is the place. We're pullin' for ya buddy. Hang in there and be patient.....things will come. I'd sure love to see you healthy and strong and back in Europe riding that new thing AG is developing.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Nate... just go and ride!

The only way to get there again is through practice... you had a bad accident and it is amazing enough that you are doing what you are doing again, so soon after.

Don't push it too hard, but keep pushing it... have you made a decision about G'many?

As for Bikes, Teams, Riders and such... I am pulling for you, I am a Nate Kern fan... sure, it's cool that you do what you do on a BMW, but it's not the BMW that post it's experiences, happyness and/or frustrations here...

Show them what YOU can do on a BMW... Godspeed and good luck... you sure got the skills needed!
2005 R1200GS - 20014 KTM690 Enduro - 2011 Husky TE250
Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nate, that femur bruise will take some time, and you just can't rush it.
You will be back and better than ever soon. Save yourself and heal your wounds, nagging as they are, for Europe. What a great opportunity!

Racing in Europe again with BMW AG and the R1200S HP2!!!

This is monumental world class stuff, Bro. We're all pullin' for you and are almost as excited as you are. More details on the European event please when you have time to share.

Any thoughts yet on October and the 8 Hour Endurance Race at Daytona?

Cheers from California!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, N8. As my grandmother used to say, "the tough times make the good times all the better." Who knows, you may even learn something by having to operate at 100% while your body is less than 100%.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Looks like SJBMW has led 32 of 34 laps so far, just pitted and are still in the lead...

Live timing
Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Leading one of the Aprilias by 2 seconds on the last lap...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
This is going to be a very very close finish
Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

this cannot be good, they just lost 3 positions as the checkered flag was displayed, I wonder if it's mechanical or crash, hope neither.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Evidently Parriot blew off a fueling pit stop and that gamble cost them the podium as opposed to finishing the race in 2nd as a pit stop would have definitely cost a first place finish. That's a major bummer
Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

That sucks, all that effort to be wasted due to running out of gas?!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: