Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Problem wiring in heated grips - help!

I have a -99 R1100S and I've got the handlebar controls for heated grips as well as the grips themselves ready to be wired in.

From a separate thread I understand that the controls I have must have the plug/contact for another bike because there is no such plug in my RH side junction box.

However, more worryingly, I don't seem to have any pre-prepared wiring at all in the junction box.

There is 1 contact available but it only has 2 connectors, whereas my controls have a plug with 3 connectors. Regardless of from which bike the controls come, shouldn't you always need 3 connectors if you have 2 heat settings? Power in and low/high out?

Secondly, there are no connectors available for the grips themselves. My impression was that this should be the case and they should simply just be to plug in...

Can someone advise please?

Some photos to aid:

My junction box. Nothing available here to hook up the grips as far as I can tell.

These are the three connectors from the controls, the three pin connector is the one for the heated grips

Old 11-21-2015, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you removed the tank and looked at the wiring bundle(s) there. I'm pretty sure you won't find a connector in the vicinity of the fuse box.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

This thread has a picture of the plug. your bike may not have the wiring loom if it didm't have the option from the factory. r1100s heated grips install replace low high bar photos
Old 12-11-2015, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Do you have this harness? 61 12 2 306 877 WIRING HARNESS F HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS

If your bike didn't come factory with heated grips you may need it. You can view it at MAX BMW's parts fiche.

Last edited by wswartzwel; 12-11-2015 at 05:06 AM..
Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Do you have this harness? 61 12 2 306 877 WIRING HARNESS F HEATED HANDLEBAR GRIPS

If your bike didn't come factory with heated grips you may need it. You can view it at MAX BMW's parts fiche.
I did resolve the problem in the end and your indication above is indeed what was needed.

Turns out the bikes don't have the connectors by standard, to the contrary of what's often believed.

Got the harness from Motorworks for 17. Took some thinking figuring out the fitting and routing, but the harness consists of a 3 plugs and a fuse box. It's similar to the below but with fewer contacts:

Basically if anyone else attempts this the fuse box goes on the frame just under the right indicator pod (there's a similar fusebox pre-installed on the left hand side for something else), and the loom then goes around and into the fusebox where it connects to the handlebar switch and the grips. Job done.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
electrics , grips , heated , r1100s