Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Z3/Z4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Xenon - not leveling?

Hi everyone , first post!

So my pride and joy has developed a little problem with it's headlight which has stopped self leveling (Z5 E85 '04 3.0i RHD), car has xenon's. One headlight does go through it's cycle and levels as required (passenger side) but the drivers side has stopped working and remains set at last position.

So far front load sensor has been replaced along with a completely new linkage, sensor may have been suspect but transpires it was good and now spare. Bumper has been off for a thorough inspection of the lights and took the liberty of swapping the stepper motors over so they are both good too (suspect motor worked on passenger side and good motor stopped working on drivers side).

Annoyingly it can spring to life for a couple of cycles after wiring everything back up (harness to headlight for the motor 6-pin) and the sensor plug but then it stops again (no motor) and can remain fully out or in on the motor winder and then needs manual adjustment again .

Updated my diags with ISTA-D and ran the full test on the car, then specifically the LSZ_2 light switch control unit which shows:

00001F LSZ2: Coils, stepping motors faulty
000021 LSZ2: Headl.v.a.cc, front load sensor, open circ.

Would the second fault cause the first, given I swapped the motors and both seem to work? If there's a short circuit, this would be the wiring from the sensor to the light switch, I need to run these tests?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/BMW_Z4M/110-BODY-Xenon_Headlight_Height_Sensor_Replacement/110-BODY-Xenon_Headlight_Height_Sensor_Replacement.htm

Think there's a fair chance that the plug onto the load sensor might not be making the electrical contact as it's been off a few times and one of the plastic retainers has broken off (secured with the tie wrap), the voltage backprobe tests would indicate this?

Sorry to be lengthy and detailed, MOT is due on the car and I'm trying to avoid garage bills at the moment.

Thanks!
Chris.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: